Investing Porftolio bug?

Options
JF73
JF73 Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I recently sold all shares of a security. However, when going to the Investing tab —> Portfolio, that security still shows with 0.002 shares.

When I do a "Reconcile Shares" from the account, it shows my Quicken account and my Brokerage Holdings match. How do I clear the 0.002 shares from the Porftolio? I can confirm that they do not exist in my actual Schwab account.

See screenshots

Thanks!

Comments

• JF73
    JF73 Member ✭✭
    Options

…and if I edit the transaction for the sold shares with a number higher by 0.002, then the Security is gone from the Investing tab —> Portfolio section, but then if I "Reconcile Shares", then I get the below pop-up error:

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How (if at all) did you handle the 1:7109 split you asked about regarding same company?

How many shares are you actually selling? Are you really selling or just making it go away?

• JF73
    JF73 Member ✭✭
    Options

I entered the 1:7109 split with two different transactions. At the end of the two transactions, Quicken told me that the Shares Balance was correct, an even 406 shares. So I am selling all 406 shares, zero shares left in my Schwab account.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But what were the transactions? A Remove Shares and an Add 406 Shares? Was the Remove a remove all shares. I suspect there is some transaction back in the history that likely involved from fractional shares - a reinvestment, a split, something. That may need to be redone then a re-do of the sell.

Before the date of the sell. setting the portfolio view as of date back, is it showing 406 shares or 406.002?

Similarly using the Portfolio Value report, what is it showing at various dates for share quantity?

• JF73
    JF73 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi q_lurker, so I think I figured out the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it: it seems that Quicken also doesn't allow Stock Splits with more than 5 decimals.

So when I entered the stock splits first 1:10, and then 1:546.7980295566502, it converts it to 1:546.79803

Hence the wacky share count.

Do you have any recommendations on how else to covert 2,220,000 shares into 406? There is a lot of very weird history going on with this (shady) security, but after selling the remaining shares at $0.00, I just want it to also disappear from Quicken, cleanly.

Bottom line: I had 2,220,000 before the Stock Split, which became 406 after. Then I was able to sell 200 shares last year. Finally sold remaining 206 shares this year.

Thanks

• JF73
    JF73 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi q_lurker, so it seems that Quicken just doesn't know how to handle stock splits very well. I just noticed that under Investing —> Dashboard, other Securities show up, with very strange Shares count.

For example: years ago I had a Security that had a simple 1:300 stock split. My 300,000 shares became 1,000. Then I sold 1,000. Simple, right? But under Investing —> Dashboard it shows the Security with -0.001 shares.

And on and on…(I have a few other Securities that show weird negative Shares count, all minuscule (-0.005873, etc etc), under Investing —> Dashboard. And none of them had complicated Stock Splits, and all the shares were sold, and I didn't enter any of the data manually…so why would they show up like that?

In the case of MCHA, no matter what I do, if I get the Investing —> Portfolio to show accurately, then the Securities Comparison Mismatch shows up every time I do a download. If I adjust the shares count to match the Mismatch, then the Security instantly shows up in my Investing —> Portfolio. And it shouldn't.

So I am stumped. I guess the final question is how to get these out of the Quicken Portfolio without then getting the "Securities Comparison Mismatch" popup 😫

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Every portfolio view can be customized in several ways, including which securities to include. If all else fails, it's easy to exclude securities you don't want to see.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For example: years ago I had a Security that had a simple 1:300 stock split. My 300,000 shares became 1,000. Then I sold 1,000. Simple, right? But under Investing —> Dashboard it shows the Security with -0.001 shares.

While that sounds simple, as Quicken (and many computer programs) applies it, it is not. The ratio 1:300 is going to apply in Quicken (I believe) as 1/300 = 0.003333. That decimal fraction times 300,000 shares becomes 999.9 shares. So maybe it got the decimal fraction to 0.00333333 to get to 999.999 shares. Or maybe the split got entered as a 1:3 followed by a 1:100. Point being, they are computing a decimal equivalent for the ratio that cannot be exact in some cases. That is going to be more common in reverse splits but can apply in some regular splits like a 4:3 (3000 might become 3999.999).

The general rule is to make the final sale specifically sell All shares rather than a filled in number, but that may not always get it done.

The secondary rule would be to use the Add Shares or Remove Shares to correct the undesirable fractional share. But in your case (and others) that can fail when different parts of Quicken calculate share quantities differently.

My final thought (in your case) would be to sell (all) the 2.88 million shares pre split rather that take them through your two part 7109 split to get down to the 406 share number.

• JF73
    JF73 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the explanation regarding stock splits, I guess it does explain why the remaining fractions of negative shares all over the place…

I did try your suggestion to make the final sale sell All Shares, but that didn't do it. Within the Investing Account tab it seems to somehow know that I only have 1,000 shares to sell, but then in the Portfolio tab it thinks otherwise.

I will try to do some math to try to sell (all) shares pre split, but I think one of the problems with that will be that Quicken keeps downloading the split, with the memo "FROM DATA FEED". So I'd have to delete it after each download. Not pleasant no matter which way, I guess.

This discussion has been closed.