Why does Quicken change random Payee Names to The New York Times? (Q Mac)

Options
LM454
LM454 Member ✭✭

When I update my checking account, I keep finding various, random Payee names changed to "The New York Times". This has been going on for a couple of years now, and I'm ready to tear my hair out! I keep correcting the errors, and when I check my Renaming Rule for The New York Times, it seems OK [INST XFER ID: NY TIMES NYTIME]. I dread downloading account updates, because I know I'm going to have to go in and search for incorrect entries. It's done this before, with other Payees, but for now it seems to have decided on The Times as its favorite Payee, although that can change, randomly.

I've taken screen shots, but was not sure if this is the appropriate place to add them.

PLEASE, can someone help me with this? I can't deal with it anymore; I've been a QMac user since it first came out, so have lived thru its many ups and downs, but this is really getting to me!

Comments

• Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Once you have determined which payee was incorrectly changed to "New York Times" , check the renaming rule for that payee.

• LM454
    LM454 Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, there are many, many payees that get changed to New York Times, and I've checked the renaming rules for every one, every month, and there's nothing I can figure out that's causing this problem. None of them have anything to do with the New York Times. I've tried removing my renaming rules for the Times, and redoing them, to no avail. It's a totally random thing! And it's not always the New York Times, although right now that seems to be the favorite wrong payee to change things to. Sometimes, randomly, another incorrect payee will be used. I'm afraid to add any renaming rules anymore, because I have no idea what they'll end up as. As it is, I have to go through every single entry every time I download my bank entries.

• Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The nuclear option would be to delete all of your renaming rules. I'd try Quicken support first.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

• LM454
    LM454 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks — I'll try that. Isn't this weird?

This discussion has been closed.