Memo field updates across transfers

Options

Add the option to automatically update the memo fields of both registers in transactions.

Having to copy/paste the memo fields of both registers for transfers wastes time and should have an option to do this automatically. If I add a reference number to the memo field of a transaction in one register I want the memo field of the transfer to also change to show that same reference number in the other register.

ALTERNATIVE:
If this requires a new field then give us a new field that retains its information the same in both registers for transfers.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm trying to imagine how the GUI would handle this. I suppose if you edit the memo of a transfer, Quicken could pop up a question "Change memo in other side of transfer?"

I sure don't always want to do this. Sometimes each side of a transfer has its own confirmation number assigned by the financial institutions and I want each side to have its own in Quicken's memo field.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

sometimes I want it to update the other side of the transfer but usually I don't. What if you also change the category to something else like Misc and enter/save it. Then immediately change the category back to the Transfer.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Steve_Calif
    Steve_Calif Member ✭✭
    edited May 17
    Options

It is really bad when you set up a transfer between accounts that the action overwrites the memo field in the target account. I have separate reference numbers in my checking account and my overdraft account. If I link a transfer between the accounts, it overwrites one of the memo fields. That is very poor design. I would like to see the option to concatenate the two memo fields and write that concatenated value to both accounts. Example: suppose checking account has a reference number "ABC" in the Memo field and the overdraft account has a reference number "123." Then Q would write "ABC / 123" into each of the memo fields. Or provide an option to NOT write the Memo field at all.