Have Q2015 backup file but no pwd; using Q2016. Any way to open file?

Options
spoolin01
spoolin01 Member

I found an old QDF-backup file, that appears to be Q2015. I'm using Q2016 and when it tries to convert the backup, I get a request for what I guess is the Intuit password. It says I've changed the pwd (I entered what I thought it might be, at the start of conversion), and the Password Vault has been reset. I'm offered a pwd change option, but during that, a blank popup screen appears, and that's as far as things go.

Anyone know of a workaround for this?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Somebody else may correct me on this, but I believe the issue is that since Quicken dropped support of any version prior to subscription (2018+), you can not create a new data file since it is not possible to register that file. File registration started with Quicken 2014, so 2014 thru 2017 have this issue.

While it may seem like you are opening up an old file, Quicken is creating a new file when it restores it.

You could try to make a Windows Explorer copy of the backup file and change the extension to .QDF from .QDF-backup. I'd also change the filename itself if it is the same as your current file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.