Gross Proceeds from a Short transaction are negative and display to a huge loss in the Capital Gains

Options
mmossako
mmossako Member
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have downloaded 7 imported all my transactions from TD Ameritrade account fresh into Quicken (done this now 3 times already) but a few transactions (Only Short Sale and Cover transactions) show a negative gross proceeds number which then displays a big loss in the Capital Gains report.

It is now all Short transactions but mostly when I kept the position open over night and had several transactions on the day.

(Don't get confused by the dates - They are displayed as DD.MM.YYYY)

I think it must have something to do with the Lot Assignment however I have enabled automatic lot assignment according the FIFO rule for this account in the preferences.

If I doubleclick to go to the underlying transaction it shows the Close Short transaction and if I edit the transactions it allos me to press the specify lots button. For all other transactions this button is grayed out. If I display the lots I see that the assigned lot is empty.

So something went wrong with the automatic assignment although all data seems to be there.

I have assigned in this example the 30 shares, pressed OK and saved it however the Capital Gains Report is still showing the same wrong data although data is correct in the transaction.

Obviously I have restarted Quicken, restarted the PC, run the validate and repair option including the Repair Lot option still without success.

Questions:

1.) Why is Quicken sometimes failing the Lot assignment even when all transactions are completely reloaded.

2.) Is it correct that a negative Gross Proceed shows up if there is no Lot Assignment?

3.) How can I fix this after manual lot assignment? Is there anything else to be done to retrigger the Capital Gains calculation?

Thanks

Martin

Comments

• mmossako
    mmossako Member
    Options

Sorry - Quicken Classic Premier

Version R52.33

Build 27.1.52.33

Running on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.