RBC Canadian account Online banking not syncing correctly

Options
Adience
Adience Member ✭✭

Hi, I live in the US and my default accounts are US based.

I do have a RBC canadian bank account (checking + Mortgage). Quicken Classic would let me connect to it automatically via One Step Update, but it won't pull any transaction from the checking account, just one final balance.

For the mortgage account (which is via the same online banking log in), it marks my mortgage as "fully paid off", which isn't the case.

Interestingly, with the multiple times I've deleted, re-added these accounts, there was one time it correctly pull all transactions for the checking account and the correct mortgage amount. But I had to delete it back then becuase I didn't know how to use multiple currencies (now I do). But since then, I only run into the issue described above.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

QWin is designed to only support accounts in the home currency. And it mostly only supports downloading data from its respective country, US vs CA. I presume you are using the QWin-US version. I cannot explain why/how you are able to get any CAN data for what you have.

Meanwhile, know that merging this functionality to support both US and CA accounts in QWin is planned, with no timeline defined. See:

Merge support for importing data from US and CA FIs/Banks for US and CA versions of QWin

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just as a side note, the reason he can connect to RBC using the US version is because there are a select few financial institutions that are "cross border" kinds of financial institutions. The actual "belief" is that RBC would be providing an account that is in USD. But what sometimes happens with these financial institutions is they don't hide the CAD accounts from the download information sent to Quicken.

And as @smayer97 pointed out Quicken Windows US is coded not to allow downloading of non-USD accounts, so this is doomed to fail. What's more it really isn't worth it. We are literally taking one amount a month. And if you set it up manually the loan scheduler will provide the split transaction in the checking account register, and as such "reconciling" the loan account each month is just making sure that one payment is correct. And if it isn't you can just change the split transaction in the checking account.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks I will try that. I don't know what split transaction is (pretty new to Quicken) so I will play around with it.

but yeah so far I just created a mannual C$ checking account and a mortgage loan and do manual input each month. I have about 5 to 6 transactions each month in that account.

• Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    Options

and just to make one comment/observation (which was in my OP), the first time I ever tried to link my RBC account, it was assigned as a USD account, and in that attempt it pulled all my account info with breakout transactions one by one, and the mortgage amount being correct. But since I forgot to assign CAD to it, and I didn't know how (or if it's possible) to do that post account creation, so I deleted the account and enabled multi currency. After that, Qwin will now only pull the closing balance for the checking accout, and the mortgage account is always shown as fully paid.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Personally, I think the "connected loans" are a mess and not worth the bother.

I certainly don't know all the details, I don't even have such kinds of loans to test on, but just looking at the comments in here. There are people posting that the HELOC change to "loans" and then are marked "paid". And others mentioning that their loans get marked "paid" and no way to get out of that mode. When you throw in multiple currency, …

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.