How do I add a preferred stock like ET/PRD (Schwab), ET/PD (Fidelity), ET-PD (Yahoo)

Options
LoneJohnny5
LoneJohnny5 Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Windows R53.16 build 27.1.53.16

New Security dialog: Typing "ET" shows only the base LP stock symbol. Typing "ET-" shows a list of (apparently) various preferred suffixes. Select "ET-D" and click next.

Add Security to Quicken dialog: Make no changes and click "Done". Note "Add to Watch List is checked.

Result: Watch list does not show "ET-D" and I cannot use it when entering a buy.

???

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’ll assume you have the base ET security already in your file. Change that name to Energy Transher (common) or similar.

When you then add ET-D as a new security, it will come in as Energy Transfer, same as the prior common name. Rename that security to reflect its preferred D state.

Repeat for others as needed.

The underlying problem is that the lookup function is not distinguishing the preferred status in the security name. When Quicken sees that there already exists a security with the name a new security tries, it ignores the attempt to create a new security.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’ll assume you have the base ET security already in your file. Change that name to Energy Transher (common) or similar.

When you then add ET-D as a new security, it will come in as Energy Transfer, same as the prior common name. Rename that security to reflect its preferred D state.

Repeat for others as needed.

The underlying problem is that the lookup function is not distinguishing the preferred status in the security name. When Quicken sees that there already exists a security with the name a new security tries, it ignores the attempt to create a new security.

• LoneJohnny5
    LoneJohnny5 Member ✭✭
    Options

Your assumption is correct. Thanks for the quick response.

This discussion has been closed.