Schwab Quicken Disconnect

Options

I have been struggling for the past 10 days on Quicken's failure to download transactions from Schwab. I have talked extensively with both Schwab and Quicken.

Yesterday while on the phone with Quicken, we got one missing Schwab account to transfer transactions.

This morning 3 Schwab accounts that had previously communicated with Quicken stopped working. The security part of the Schwab website says Quicken transfers are authorized for all Schwab accounts.

The Quicken software on my laptop says all Schwab accounts are authorized and are that they are communicating. In fact 3 accounts are not communicating since there are missing transactions from yesterday

In addition, this morning Quicken stopped working for my other accounts at Vanguard, Fidelity and a local savings bank. I was able to reconnect those. but not the Schwab accounts.

While on the telephone with Quicken discussing my "ticket #" this morning I was told that "there is a problem," Quicken is currently unable to work out solution with Schwab and it is unable to tell when it can be fixed.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Lawrence Clough,

Are you receiving any specific error codes or messages with your Charles Schwab account(s)? Would you mind providing me with the ticket number given to you during your interaction with Quicken Support?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• barbarafriedberg
    Options

I have been having this exact problem. Some accounts will download and later not download. Same problems as Lawrence.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @barbarafriedberg,

Are you receiving any error codes or messages? Is this occurring with multiple Schwab account(s)?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

• TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am also having a similar problem. It started with not being able to download for a few days. So I disconnected my Schwab accounts and added them again. But authorization process failed and my quicken hung with gray around the authorization pop-up. I had to kill quicken and restart several times. I disconnected all Schwab accounts and when I did an update for all, it still tried to maybe finish the Schwab auth process and hung again. I had to revert to previous day's version of quicken files.

I have verified that my accounts are authorized for Quicken on Schwab website.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @TF,

Thank you for joining this thread.

Are you still experiencing issues with your Charles Schwab account(s)?

-Quicken Jasmine

• TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes, I have disconnected the accounts and are leary of trying again as the authorization froze and I had to kill Quicken in windows take manager. After that, my update all would also freeze even with Schwab accounts disconnected. It seems like update was trying to finish off the authorization process that got stuck. I am going to wait and see what Quicken finds out before I add Schwab back.

• TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I decided to try again. I deactivated all the Schwab accounts, and did an add account from the tools menu and was able to relink all the accounts. The only glitch was it nickname was showing the wrong account names that the link was connected to. I just had to relink the accounts and everything got added fine and I was able to connect to Schwab fine. So everything is good now.

• rangajayaraman
    Options

I have been struggling with this issue as well. I have done what TF suggested - deactivate ALL my Schwab accounts, and add a Schwab account from the Tools menu, sort out all the linking to existing accounts in Quicken. Quicken states that it connected all the accounts and claims that it has downloaded years worth (thousands) of transactions for each account! But, sadly not the case. Huge chunks of transactions are missing. And the silence from Quicken on this issue is - deafening!

• rangajayaraman
    Options

Today my Wells Fargo checking is exhibiting the same issue!

• iclarius
    iclarius Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I have been on the phone wit Schwab and Quicken 2nd level Tech support for LITERALLY hours and I STILL can't get consistent downloads with One-Step Update. One day, the accounts download after deactivating and adding accounts as I've been told, THEN the next time, I try it one or more Schwab Accounts give me errors. The errors change 505, 501, etc BUT the one-step updates are getting VERY frustrating.

NONE OF THE SUGGESTIONS HAVE WORKED FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

I HAVE NEARLY 30 YEARS OF FINANCIAL DATA THAT I DO NOT WISH TO LOSE.

I created a new file with all my Schwab Accounts deleted, then did a One-Step Update. MANY placeholders were created. I am about to spend a POOP LOAD of time putting in average costs for the various mutual funds and stocks that I have been tracking for nearly 30 years. I DO NOT LIKE THAT SOLUTION BUT I FEEL I HAVE NO CHOICE IF I WANT TO CONTINUE TO USE QUICKEN.

I THINK THE ISSUE IS WITH THE SCHWAB "EXPRESS WEB CONNECT" METHOD OF DOWLOADS SINCE NO OTHER DIRECT CONNECT ACCOUNT HAS THIS ISSUE.

I hope Quicken and Schwab resolve this issue since I'd love to keep all my data.

• iclarius
    iclarius Windows Beta Beta
    Options

No THANKS TO QUICKEN OR SCHWAB BUT I THINK I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I created a new file and added all my accounts back; one company at a time. So far, after putting in placeholder data for a dozen stocks that I own, I've done the One-Step Update and I got NO errors. This is NOT an elegant solution since I lost LOTS of individual transactions and lumped them all together into the single Placeholder for that stock or Mutual Fund. I took screen captures of my portfolio so I know what my average cost is for the stock/Mutual. I used the Average Cost/Share as the placeholder purchase price.

I will see if tomorrow's updates are good but so far after 3 close, open, updates and close, everything gets updated WITHOUT errors.

I now have 4 other files to do this to so I am keeping my fingers crossed that these updates don't mess up all the work that I did for my BIG main file.

• bkitchel
    bkitchel Member ✭✭
    Options

I had the issue with Chas Schwab where Update Quotes was not working on one of my Schwab accounts. (It was downloading some of my equity closing prices, while at the same time changing yesterday's closing prices to today's closing prices.) Because of changes Schwab recently made, I was no longer able to connect that account to Schwab "properly" when trying to Update Quotes. My other 2 accounts were updating correctly. I spoke with Quicken Support on 12/5, they were aware of the issue at Schwab, and assisted me in re-connecting the one account to Schwab. I would not have known how to do this, and was grateful for the Quicken Support person's help. All quotes are downloading properly now.

• MarthaF
    MarthaF Member ✭✭
    Options

Schwab will not update my brokerage account although it is listed and seemingly connected. Very frustrated with Quicken and Schwab.

• Okayish
    Okayish Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem here. No updates or partial updates. Big gap in updates.

• rangajayaraman
    Options

New symptom today. I "update" the accounts and I see a red flag next to the account in the account list on the left. If I click on the flag, it states that I have transactions that need to be reviewed. If I open the register for the account, there are no transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab!

• svgl
    svgl Member ✭✭
    Options

I've had similar problems — first updating Schwab accounts produced error messages (which I tried to resolve as instructed, unsuccessfully) and now for the last weeks no updates occur at all. Today I sat down to try to figure something out (and call Quicken and/or Schwab), but immediately faced the new problem (reported by Quicken) that all updates are slow/interminable. Quicken, I love you, but: we need help!

• rangajayaraman
    Options

It appears that the Schwab account downloads are working now! Am I hallucinating or others are seeing this as well?

• doughogan
    Options

my schwab downloads are still not working today. I have 8 separate schwab accounts.One day some will download and others will not. I have used the reset function in quicken on the online part of the account set-up.. I have deleted and rebuilt accounts, still not working. even on the few times I was ableto get a download the quicken file did not match the value of the schwab account online. Very frustrating and leading me to question the value of have the Quicken software. Keeps getting more expensive but works less. Lots of free online options if they dont step up the support and error correction.

• Bruce2024
    Bruce2024 Member
    Options

I've also been having a disconnect between Quicken and my Schwab accounts. My balances never match. I really don't like working with tech support and having someone see all my financial information. Is Quicken working on this issue? Or maybe I need to find another option besides Quicken.

• sprx
    sprx Member
    Options

Tried everything and still can't connect either of my Scwab IRAs to Quicken (where they have been successfully connected for years and years, prior to this week. If this can't be fixed then I don't need Quicken.

• JT444
    JT444 Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue - Schwab accounts that have worked for years are no longer downloading. Don't need Quicken if i can't access accounts - ugh!

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Member ✭✭
    Options

Late in 2022, we were having these same problems with broken downloads from Schwab, and one of the work-arounds was to revert back to version R44.28 (I am using Quicken Deluxe on Windows 11 Home platform). I stopped updating Quicken and was able to continue to get my Schwab transactions, using version R44.28. I subscribed to the quicken community thread, and occasionally would hear that it was still an open issue and that they were working on it. Today, I came to the quicken community to see if anything has been resolved, and it looks like it is still a struggle. I guess I will stay on my version R44.28 until this gets resolved. My version is working to keep five Schwab accounts accurate.

• fritzngertie
    fritzngertie Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same (similar) problem with Schwab and Quicken. I am using Windows 10 Premier version. R54.9. I have 8 accounts and have had the most trouble with 2 accounts which are Intelligent Portfolio. I don't know if that is a root cause. I do know that I am fed up with constantly deleting, re-adding, and resetting accounts frequently. Since the majority of my assets are with Schwab and this one-step update always ends with errors I think that Quicken should cut the cost of Quicken for users of Schwab in half or better yet, stop charging me for a product that does not work. I do not see where Quicken has any incentive to fix this issue. Maybe something that hits their pocketbook might give them a push to get it fixed now. I for one am looking for alternatives to this product.

• jmfstone
    jmfstone Member ✭✭
    Options

After not being able to download and see transactions since mid-December, mine finally started working again. All transactions came down with red flags and I was both able to see them and accept.

Maybe this issue has finally been resolved.

• TFD612
    TFD612 Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue now with R54.9. Everything worked fine yesterday and then today, Quicken updated to 54.9 and now Schwab won't download.

I've deactivated, removed access from Schwab's site, set up the accounts again, re-linked to the accounts, gave permission on Schwab and all connect fine, but nothing downloads.

None of my checking transactions or brokerage transactions download.

There's no errors, and it looks like it runs as it should, but nothing actually downloads.

Why do we pay a subscription if they keep breaking the software?

• MitchC
    MitchC Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm using R54.16 on Windows 10 Home 22H2. I've been experiencing similar problems with Quicken/Schwab account synching for months. I'm at a stand still now having just tried to deactivate 7 Schwab accounts and then set them up again with Schwab. The Schwab login/authorization looks good and I select the 7 accounts to be synched in Quicken. But the handshake with Quicken doesn't match up the accounts. Not all of the accounts are even listed or linked to existing.

It's odd because I have a separate quicken file that I track 2 Schwab accounts for a family member that has worked flawlessly for the same time that I've been having problems. The only difference between the Quicken files is I added a new Schwab account to my Quicken file. That must have fowled up the Quicken/Schwab synchronization.

Fortunately, I backed up before I've tried to remedy the issues and don't have to wade through the placeholder transactions.

• Sam S
    Sam S Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem. I am on Windows 10 and this Express Connect download from Schwab was working fine for me until a month ago. Now when I do a download, it "completes" with no errors but no transactions show up. Having the same problem with WellsFargo, I deleted the online connection and reconnected and it all seems to "work" but end result is the same.

My other accounts (non-Schwab, non-Wells fargo work),

I am really tired of Quicken, but I'm stuck with data over last 30 years almost. That said, any suggestions on what one could switch to? I'm really thinking this can't last — this plane is obviously crashing.

• MitchC
    MitchC Member ✭✭
    Options

Success! I'm not sure what fixed the issue, but here's what I did. I had backed up my Quicken file before I tried the last Schwab update (see my Feb 10 post). I restored it that day as I didn't like the buggy results of the attempted Quicken update. I decided to try again today. So I backed up the file again before I started. Then I selected a Schwab account and attempted to update transactions. The update was only going to update 3 of the 7 accounts at Schwab, but I proceeded anyway. A Quicken error showed saying that I needed to fix my Schwab account link because I had restored the file from backup. I followed the instructions and added the account again. That launched the Schwab sign-in and everything looked good through Schwab access approval. Then the Quicken handshake was complete this time. All accounts were listed and I was able to link to existing for all of them. All of the accounts updated correctly and I verified the account balances with an on-line comparison with Schwab.

• MitchC
    MitchC Member ✭✭
    Options

I updated to R55.15. The issue does not appear to be fixed. Although, I'm able to maintain some link with my Schwab accounts, I don't have a consistent way to get all the accounts to update. Still an issue. Notify customer support.

This discussion has been closed.