Archive - Quicken for Mac 7.3.2

Options
f2titan
f2titan Member ✭✭

Hello, question please.

I have some CD's I recently cashed in to pay for some home improvements. Now that my sidebar shows "0" balance for each CD. If I delete these CD's from Quicken, won't I lose record of all interest paid each month? Isn't there an archive option to hold closed out accounts, and its past transactions?

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're correct that you don't want to delete the CDs. You can mark the accounts as closed and hidden - both options are available when you right-click on the CD in the Account sidebar - and they will be tucked away in a separate Hidden section in the sidebar (which may or may not be visible depending on your sidebar settings).

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're correct that you don't want to delete the CDs. You can mark the accounts as closed and hidden - both options are available when you right-click on the CD in the Account sidebar - and they will be tucked away in a separate Hidden section in the sidebar (which may or may not be visible depending on your sidebar settings).

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• f2titan
    f2titan Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It's not called "Archive". You can mark an account you no longer use as "Closed" and/or mark it as "Hidden".

You are correct that if you delete the accounts entirely, you will lose all the transactions including interest paid. So in most cases, you wouldn't want to do that. Instead, you can close the account. (Control-click on the account in the left sidebar, and select Close from the pop-up menu.) This will (a) set the account balance to zero, if it isn't already; (b) disconnect the account from downloading, if it had been set up to download; and (c) mark the account as Hidden, so it no longer shows up in any places where accounts are listed.

There's one downside to making an account both closed and hidden: the investment value will disappear from the Portfolio historical graph, and from the table of investments when setting the "as of" date in the past. So the better option for investment accounts is to (a) close the account, (b) then make it not hidden, and (c) set the Sidebar Preferences to show hidden accounts but not show closed accounts. This way, the old CDs will not show up in the left sidebar, but will show up in the Portfolio history for prior dates when their value was not zero.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.