Checking account not calculating correcting

Options
Adience
Adience Member ✭✭

hi I use Quicken Classic on Windows, with most recent updates.

My Chase checking account entries are all up to date and showing the correct amounts as of a couple days ago. I did a One Step Update this morning and my closing balance is now off. it's downloaded all the most recent transactions, but the historical running balance is way off. I can see even my opening balance from 2021 seems to have changed.

Comments

• Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

made some edit to the above

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Go fix that "Opening Balance" number to the correct dollar amount and see if that fixes things. For whatever reason downloads have been know to affect Opening Balances and of course if that number is wrong then every balance number thereafter is also wrong.

• Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    Options

I have noticed in the past that sometimes the opening balance would suddenly be off. That was the first thing I tried to fix this morning before posting here. I did usual way of trying to fix the opening balance but reconciling the very first month there I have data (in this case November 2021), and running balance for Nov 2021 now is correct. But my closing balance as of today is still way off, meaning more entries must have been wrong.

I am getting tired of having to frequently fix something that was 100% ok just a couple days ago.

• Tom Young
    Options

If you want to stick with "today's file even if everything past November 2021 is wrong for some reason - you'd have to expect that it's either duplicate transactions or deletion of transactions - then probably the easiest thing to do here is restore that "couple of days ago" file (with a different name than your current file), and try to use that against your live file to see if you can figure out what went wrong here.

But with only a couple of days worth of transactions to possibly reconstruct it might be easier to restore the "known good" file and trying again. I'd probably use the Account's "Update Transactions" process instead of One Step Update, just to focus on that one Account.

• Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    Options

will try restore when I get home.

on your second recommendation, should I only use "account update transaction" exclusively? Where do I find that function?

• Tom Young
    Options

Click the gear wheel in the upper right corner of that particular Account:

(In Investment Accounts "Update Transactions" is used here instead of "Update Now", so I used the wrong term here. )

This discussion has been closed.