Cannot set up Express Web Connect with Greater Texas Credit Union (edit)

Options
Daren
Daren Member ✭✭

Background: I have checking and savings account at my credit union. My wife does also. Same credit union.

All four are associated with accounts in our Quicken. Prior to last summer, the OneStep Update worked just fine. Wasn't there some kind of major change in July or so? About that time I had issues with updates.

I made the mistake (apparently) of disabling Express WebConnect for my accounts and then trying to set it up again. Quicken failed to make connection with the credit union. I've been trying again every few weeks with no success. And, yes, I always verify that I'm using the right credentials.

Meanwhile, after an initial wait of several weeks, I can update my wife's accounts, no problem. So obviously Quicken can connect to the credit union for that purpose.

I did chat (more than once) with Quicken support, one time for more than an hour doing some kind of remedy. In the end they told me the problem wasn't resolved and I should wait. It's now been more than 4 months of waiting …

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Daren

Can you tell us the name of the credit union, as that may help us?

Also, other than making absolutely sure that you are entering the correct credentials, you should also take a look at the guidance located HERE. Given that your wife's accounts now are working, the information at the link may not work, but I suggest that you try it - ONLY AFTER making a good backup of your data file.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Greater Texas Credit Union - it's actually in the screenshot I gave.

I had tried your suggestion at least once before without success. Same thing again today.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is what is configured - and it looks like you really do need to setup as EWC to gain access to your Credit Cards.

18634 18634 18634 Greater Texas Credit Union
    https://www.gtfcu.org/ 800-749-9732
    https://gtfcu.cbzsecure.com/ ACTIVE
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Daren - If you have not already done so, please read the Support Article regarding this error code: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-231-ol-232-or-ol-235.

I agree with @Ps56k2's suggestion: Try setting up the connection for your accounts, again, with Greater Texas Credit Union. But I would add that once you get Greater Texas Credit Union entered, instead of clicking on Next, click on Advanced Options. Then make sure that Express Web Connect is selected and not Direct Connect or Web connect before clicking on Next.

If after following the guidance in the Support Article and after trying to set up the connection with EWC, again, you still get this error code, then you should contact Quicken Support because it indicates there might be an issue that the Quicken Team will need to address.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

I have only been trying it with Express Web Connect.

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Boatnmaniac - the article you mention has the same recommendation that Frankx provided. I had done this both before and since my post, with no change in the issue.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Frankx's suggestion was to refresh the financial institution per a Help article. The link I had provided to the Support Article. You are right that they are the same but just coming from different sources.

But the rest of my earlier post was different from his. It agreed with @Ps56k2's suggestion and expanded upon that.

The error code you reported receiving is one that is typically found with DC, not with EWC. It is not uncommon when DC is available, for DC to be the default for Add Account setup. So I had assumed that perhaps Quicken was trying to connect you to GTCU with DC instead of EWC and then producing that DC error code.

So, that is why I suggested you try setting up with EWC, instead. The process I posted was simply a means to help ensure that the Add Account process will try to set you up with EWC instead of DC.

But you are getting that error code with EWC? So this theory doesn't hold up in your case, then.

What happens if you use that process I posted above and select DC instead of selecting EWC?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

just a self correction- I thought you also mentioned Credit Cards, but guess not…

Therefore, either DC or EWC both should work for just handling Checking/Savings - (Banking)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, no luck with Direct Connect as well …

This discussion has been closed.