Quicken Printer

Options
jimlou
jimlou Member

I have been using an old HP 6P to print checks, but I am looking for a new printer. I cannot find one that will work. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am using an old HP Officejet 8600 and it prints checks perfectly. I'm pretty sure these are discontinued but you might be able to find one for sale (if overpriced), see link below. If you are really lucky, you might also be able to find the accessory second paper tray so you could have regular paper and check stock in the printer at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Officejet-8600-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B005O55TDO/ref%3Dsr_1_3?adgrpid=1234751911544761&hvadid=77172163045037&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=86362&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-77172267494667%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=24255_13647931&keywords=hp+officejet+8600&qid=1701374949&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.765d4786-5719-48b9-b588-eab9385652d5

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jimlou
    jimlou Member
    Options

Thanks. If you have checks in a separate tray, how do you print one or two checks at a time. I have no problem with full sheets of three, but it is the one or two checks that give me problems.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The 8600 can handle 1, 2, and 3 checks at a time. They go in landscape regardless of number.

This is the best printer I've ever had and I'll be sad when it dies. It does duplex copy, scan, & print without breaking a sweat.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The printer you choose should have a bypass tray, aux. feed tray … something you can load with partial pages or a pile of full check sheets without having to remove the main paper tray. Sheets should go in face-up, lowest numbered check form on top.

I have an old Epson Stylus CX4800. It feeds paper thru the printer using a straight-thru paper path. Check forms (I only use voucher checks, they're easier to use) are loaded in the one and only paper tray, face up, lowest numbered form on top.
    This printer is perfect for printing the few checks I have to print every month. Just load a pile of check forms on top of the paper in the input tray and print using all the default settings.

My newer Epson WF printer, on the other hand, uses a different paper path thru the printer. There is no bypass tray.
    To print checks, forms would have to be loaded face-down into paper tray 1. When printing, each sheet is pulled from the top of the tray. That means, the lowest numbered check would be on bottom of the stack … not good. By default checks print in order by ascending check number. I'd have to remember to either sort checks by hand in reverse order before loading them into the tray or to change printer properties for every check print job to print pages in reverse order. And I can only load as many check forms as I will use in the current print job.
    I don't even want to think about trying to print partial pages with this printer.
    I would not recommend the Epson WF for printing checks.

This discussion has been closed.