November and December updates hang when opening file on a Network Share

Options
MDD
MDD Member ✭✭

For 20+ years I have run quicken with my quicken file hosted on a Windows Network Share. It has worked flawlessly. The network folder is mounted on a physical RAID-1 disc giving me a level of security against physical disc failure that cannot be obtained any other way. For additional security no other software, other than the OS is installed on the Network Server, and it locked down tight. Starting with the November Update I have been unable to open my Quicken file. I have seen quicken warnings that they are not designed to run on a network share in the past, but it seems they now refuse to run. Rolling back to the October patch fixes the problem.

Comments

• MDD
    MDD Member ✭✭
    Options

NB When I open the data file, and check task manager, the quicken process is using about 23% of the CPU.

• MDD
    MDD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I was able to rollback to R52.33 by uninstalling quicken totally and then re-installing using File 4.0.100.1190 and the October Patch distribution. Before starting the installation, I disabled domain resolution (set the DNS entry to 0.0.0.0) so the installer could not access the internet and apply updates during the installation. I guess I could also have blacklisted quicken.com at the router or unplugged the network cable. I then installed Quicken and applied the October Patch manually. After that I was able to open the QDATA file from the network share without problems and re-enabled quicken. Next step will be to disable the quicken updater

• MDD
    MDD Member ✭✭
    Options

IMHO as a sofware developer of 40+ years not supported files stored a network share makes absolutely no sense….

This discussion has been closed.