QMac imported my entire address book !

Del Ray
Del Ray Quicken Mac Subscription Member

After using QWIN for ~30 years I had to switch to QMAC. Ugh

When I did, QMAC imported my entire address book from my MacBook Air.

How do I either (1) remove the many hundreds of names I don't plan on writing checks to or (2) delete the entire address book and build a new one with the 20 or so people I actually send checks to?

Thanks for there assist.

Randy

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I'm confused. Quicken Mac doesn't have an address book; it has a list of Payees. And due to Apple's privacy rules, no application can access your Mac's Address Book without asking you to grant it permission. But I'm wondering if that's not what actually happened…

If you migrated your data file from Quicken Windows, then every Payee you've used in the past is imported into Quicken Mac. Unlike Quicken Windows, there is no separate subset of Payees in a "memorized" list; instead, the relational database in Quicken Mac links every transaction in your file to the list of Payees, the list of categories, the list of tags. You can't delete any Payees in Quicken Mac because they are linked to the transactions which used those Payees. So I'm wondering if you were looking at your Payee list and seeing all those Payees and thinking Quicken Mac did something wrong. If so, it didn't! 😁

This might initially seem unwieldy, but it isn't. When you start typing in thePayee field, Quicken Mac displays a list of Payee names which match what you've typed, making it very easy to identify and select the one you want. For instance, if you type "Hom" it may display a list with Home Depot, Home Goods, Homewood Suites, etc. You can select the one you want with your mouse, or using the up/down arrow keys — or just type a few more characters to narrow the list to a few or just one Payee. So after you've typed "Home D", the only Payee in the list might now be Home Depot, which you can select simply by persian gTab to advance to the next field, or clicking on it. (There's more to know about the Payee list because QuickFill Rules can make a Payee show up several times, but we can save that issue for another day.")

Is that possibly what's going on?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.