Estimated income

Options
Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
edited January 30 in Investing (Windows)

Click on stock, ETF, or fund

Next—-click on other information

Next—Est. income———I forgot how to enter the estimated income

Do you have to multiply the number of shares X the annual divided?

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That number is per share so you don't have to multiply it. As far as I know this is only used in portfolio views. In the portfolio view it will multiply what you enter by the number of shares.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

To be clear, the number you enter is in $/share/year. It is multiplied by the number of shares you hold on the Portfolio View
    As of date to get the estimated income shown in the Portfolio views..

QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think you understand my question

Est. income is blank when you click on security detail—other information

You have to enter estimated income in order for Quicken to show this amount in the portfolio view.

My question is do you have to multiply the number of shares X the annual dividend to arrive at estimated income.

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

No, Quicken does that for you. That way, if you buy more shares, the estimated income will increase. If you sell all your shares in an account, the estimated income for that security in that account will drop to zero.

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Jim——When you click on security detail, Other information, Est. Income is blank.

You have to enter est. income.

I think you may have to multiply your shares X the annual dividend payments.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Jim—-Are you saying to just leave the Est. Income BLANK for everything

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

No Gary, please just try it and see. The est income in Other information defaults to zero. You must enter it yourself, in $/Share/year. Quicken multiplies the number you enter by the number of shares you own and displays the result in the portfolio views.

There is an Idea post requesting that Quicken enter this automatically, based on the downloaded Annual dividend per share. Please see

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My estimated income in portfolio view shows Zero for all securities———

There are no entries for Est. income in the security detail view

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Gary, I guess the question is whether you use the investment views? If not, you will only see the number where you enter it on each security. Maybe this is why you think you need to do the multiplication yourself? The investment tab which has some pre-made views which you can customize to your liking will do this multiplication for you if you include the estimated income field

• Jim_Harman
    Options

It shows zero in the portfolio views because you have not entered the estimated income per share in the security detail view. Again, you must enter that number yourself.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Jim—I think I get it

SCHD pays $2.66 annual dividend payment

Therefore, I have to enter $2.66 for Est. Income

Is that correct?

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yes that is correct. And after you make that entry, if you hold 100 shares of SCHD, the Estimated Income column in the Portfolio views will show $2.66 x 100 or $266.00.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Got IT!!!!!!

I just tried with SCHD and looks good

I didn't realize the security view screen showed the annual dividend——I never scrolled down far enough

(I thought I had to spend hours today going to Morningstar or Yahoo to find the annual dividend

Thanks guys for your help and timely replies.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well—-I'm not sure what to enter for Est Income for Treasuries and CD's.

Do I just enter the yield—Example—5.2 for a CD or Treasury?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Part of the reason you must enter the income per share manually is that Quicken's quote provider does not provide the annual dividend for all securities, generally only for stocks and ETFs. Also some users like to include other distributions - Return of Capital, Capital gains distributions, interest, etc. in their estimated income.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Oh Boy—I realize it's more complicated with Treasuries——My yield may be 5%+, but most are bought at discounts and the coupon ranges from zero to 2.5%. Now I have no clue what to enter for Est. Income

• Jim_Harman
    Options

What you paid for the bond or any other security does not does not affect the estimated income.

How many "shares" of the Treasury are entered in Quicken? How much cash does each share pay you per year? That is what you should enter.

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I would enter the coupon rate times the shares since that would give you the actual annual income not counting capital gains which are not definite unless you hold to maturity

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just tried one of my Treasuries with a coupon of 2.25%

All I did was enter the 2.25 for est. income and it computed the correct annual estimated income in the portfolio view

Thanks

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just tried CD's and more Treasuries just entering the coupon or CD rate. Looks good

Quicken multiplied the number of shares X the rate

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@GaryR curious, what is your end goal to getting the estimated income amounts for all of your securities?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

mshiggins——Yes—That is my end goal

I would like to know my investment income next year.

• mshiggins
    Options

@GaryR you want to know your investment income for tax planning, budgeting, or some other reason? For tax planning and budgeting, income reminders work seamlessly. The estimated income from the Portfolio views cannot be used as easily in tax planning and budgeting.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just wanted to know how much income will be coming in next year. However, I realized that the estimated income amounts are yearly and a lot of my Treasuries and CD's are maturing early next year.

• mshiggins
    Options

If you plan to used estimated income going forward, you may want to vote and comment on this improvement suggestion:

• Jim_Harman
    edited December 2023
    Options

I think if you used the Bonds bought selection from Enter Transactions correctly, your shares will be the face amount of the bond / 100 and thus you should enter the coupon rate as a percentage.

So if you have a bond with a face value of $20,000, Quicken should show 200 shares. If it has a coupon of 2.5%, the interest payout will be 20,000 x .025 or $500 per year.

You should enter 2.5 in the Est. income box in the Security Details and the Estimated income in the Portfolio views will be the correct $500.

[edit to add] For something like a money market fund where the share price is always $1.00, you would enter the interest rate as a decimal. So if a money market fund is paying 4.25%, you would enter 0.0425.

Thankfully Quicken recently increased this field from 2 to 4 decimal places, so you can enter interest rates in fractions of a percent.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Jim—I did that and all good!!!!

Now I have a lot of work ahead of me today to change all my Est. Income for all my holdings.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

For me the estimated income in the Portfolio views is nice to know, but I don't use it for planning purposes.

As @mshiggins says, I find it much more useful to have Reminders set up for the expected dividend income in my taxable accounts. This is not a large burden to set up and manage because I am not a frequent trader and I don't have a large number of securities in these accounts. The Reminders feed directly into the Tax Planner.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've never set up reminders——-Is this through Quicken?

This discussion has been closed.