My Credit Union Transactions are downloaded with the wrong sign

Options
ddfdfd
ddfdfd Member

I just started using Quicken, and it seems my credit union transactions are being downloaded with the wrong sign, Charges are coming in as positive, and credits as negative. I manually imported 2 years of history where the signs were reversed and if I follow the check register balance and a P&L, the manually imported history appears to be working (where charges are negative and income is positive). It's only the newly downloaded transactions that are at issue.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or am I reading something wrong?

I have another cash account that is downloading as expected and being reported as expected (charges as negative, income as positive).

Thanks for the help

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you change your post? Wasn't there a screen shot attached? And running like a 27,000 negative balance? Are the deposits/payments in the right columns? But the balance is going the wrong way? Here's some ideas. Oh, are you using the Payment Column and Deposit Column? If you are just using the Amount column we suggest using the 'Payment' & 'Deposit' columns and drop the 'Amount' column.

First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

If your deposits are subtracting from the balance then you could be running a negative balance and the deposit is really reducing the negative amount. So the balance will show a lower number.

If your payments are adding to the balance then you could be running a negative balance and the payment is really increasing the negative amount and your account is over drafted.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance. If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken. And put the beginning balance in the memo field in case it gets lost again. Sometimes an update will reset the beginning balance. And put the beginning balance in the memo field in case it gets lost again. Sometimes an update will reset the beginning balance.

Maybe the deposits (or payments) disappeared from the checking account because they were transfers from another account and maybe you changed the category on the other account to something else. Might want to check that.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• ddfdfd
    ddfdfd Member
    Options

I may have misjudged which transactions were wrong…The last few downloaded transactions came in appropriately, so I'm just thinking that transactions that I thought were downloaded, were really manually uploaded, and I screwed up the sign. Crossing my fingers that this is the case.

Thanks for the quick attention.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So make sure you are using the 2 columns, the Payment Column and Deposit Column and not the single Amount column. That should help. Then you don't need to enter the sign.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.