Online connection with National Bank

Options

Hi, I'm a new user with Quicken… I'm unable to make the online connection with my National Bank account. Is it normal?

From there, I need to update my account transaction by downloading the the file from my bank website portal… also, it seems to generate a problem with credit card account. The transaction on my credit cards needs also to be update by the downloaded file from my bank portal but it seem that my account shows a "positive" number instead of a "negative" number…

Does somebody can help me with that please?

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Windows version of the Canadian Version of Quicken supports two methods of downloading transactions: (i) Web Connect; and (ii) Express Web Connect. The main difference is that Web Connect is initiated from the financial institutions online banking site, whereas Express Web Connect initiates the download from inside Quicken. Accordingly, Quicken does NOT need your login information to use Web Connect, but Quicken MUST store your login information for your financial institution for Express Web Connect.

Which method or methods of downloading transactions is/are supported is specific to each financial institution. National Bank, for example, only supports Web Connect. So, when you ask is it normal that you can't connect Quicken to National Bank, the answer is - Yes - if what you mean by "connect Quicken to National bank" is to establish an Express Web Connect connection with National Bank. With National Bank, your only option to download transactions is to use Web Connect to download transactions because Express Web Connect is not supported. You'll need to switch financial institutions if you want to use Express Web Connect. All the biggest banks support Express Web Connect for bank accounts (i.e. RBC, BMO, CIBC, Scotia).

As for the reverse sign on the account balance (or transactions), that has been a problem with certain credit accounts with select financial institutions. I'm not aware that problem is presently affecting National Bank. However, before we jump to the conclusion it is a problem with the bank's data, I do suggest you contact Quicken phone support ask walk through a Web Connect download with them to ensure you are setting things up correctly. If it is a bank problem, then your best option is to use the Report A Problem feature you'll find under the Help menu. And then, it may take quite some time to get the issue addressed.

This discussion has been closed.