Quicken Canada (Windows) has changed my TD US account to Cdn currency

Options
jtorr
jtorr Member ✭✭

My TD US bank account is now in Cdn currency. Its been in US for years. Could be a result of R53.26. The timing seems right. I didnt notice it until I did notice that a transfer from a Cdn currency account had no exchange applied. 1:1

Is there any way of changing the account currency back to US without affecting the historical numbers, which are correct?

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can fix the problem by creating a new account in Quicken, setting the currency to USD before adding any transactions, and then use the Move Transaction feature to move all the transactions from one account to the other. The other option is to use QIF export and QIF import.

You should use the Report a Problem feature in Quicken to report this problem and include your Log Files.

• wilro
    wilro Member
    Options

Having the same problem. Did a back up and deleted the US$ account. Then tried creating a new account by connecting the TD US$ to Quicken. Despite the TD account being in US$, it appears that the bank is tagging it as a CDN$ account. The account created in Quicken is listed in Canadian Dollars. :-( Restored the back up. Just have to fiddle with the exchange rate on transfers.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The data that is received by your Quicken application during an Express Web Connect session contains a field called [CURDEF], which defines the currency for the transactions. The Quicken Application is coded such that a Quicken account will take the currency specified in the [CURDEF] field. Hence, if TD Bank has messed up the code that generates the data for Express Web Connect or Intuit, Quicken's data aggregator, is erroneously manipulating the [CURDEF] field then your Quicken account will get switched to that incorrect currency every time you run an Express Web Connect (One Step Update) session. Hence, you should be using Report A Problem (under the Help menu), including log files, to get Quicken's Online Banking Team to investigate this issue. There is nothing a user can do to fix it; at best, you can avoid it by not using Express Web Connect for this account. The issue might also be present with Web Connect.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@jtorr @wilro @Arctic Hare

Having just tried downloading US$ transactions using old "Web Connect" I can say that for me it worked perfectly. This is another reason that I am a long time adherent to the Web Connect method of downloading transactions instead of Express Web Connect. It gives me better oversight in order to control specifically when things are downloaded and from which account. I also don't like sharing my login info with Quicken.

I have a US$ chequing account at TD Canada Trust. I'm also using Quicken Canada Business & Personal R53.26 which I also upgraded recently. About 3 months ago because of a reconciliation issue I set up a new duplicate US$ Chq account to replace the existing one and then copied the transactions. As mentioned it is crucial when creating the account that US$ currency is selected at the start.

After I set up a new US$ account, I then deactivated the old US$ account download link in Quicken and in my TD account view (after personally logging into my TD accounts), I initiated the download by specifying the transactions I wanted to download using the date sort feature and then selecting "Download" by "Intiut Quicken" at the bottom of the transaction list.

(I discovered that trying to setup the downloaded link from within Quicken now only allows for an Express Web Connect selection as it asks for the login credentials to be able to access my bank account directly. Because of security settings and 2 factor verification I've found this to be problematic. So I log into my accounts myself and then download from the bank website.)

When I click the download button It then asks me what type of account this is. In the drop down list to the right "Download Account As", I selected "US$ chequing". This worked fine. Before I selected US$ Chequing, I had just accepted the old default selection which was "Chequing". That gave me an error message. When setting up the "Web Connect" connection for the first time it will then ask if it should create a new account or select an existing one. Quicken was able to see the new US$ account I created which I selected.

Definitely worth creating a Problem Report to send to Quicken.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

By the way here is the Quicken support info on setting up a new Web Connect connection. It has to be done from within the Bank's website.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-activate-web-connect-account

• jtorr
    jtorr Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info everyone.

• jtorr
    jtorr Member ✭✭
    Options

I used to use web connect but I think I may have included the account in one step update recently, thus the problem.

I've reported the problem and have moved my transactions from the old account to a new one with an exchange rate of 1:1 which took a bit of time, in that I've got 15sh years of data.

So far, so good.

This discussion has been closed.