Historic Vanguard 401k data lacking cost basis and any way to add it

Options
Eric N
Eric N Member
edited January 30 in Investing (Mac)

My data downloaded from my Vanguard 401k appears to lack cost basis information after a rebalancing last year. All the ongoing regular investments show proper cost-basis, just the "initial" balances post rebalancing all show 0 cost basis. The downloaded transactions are all shown as add/remove shares with zero cost, rather than buy/sell.

What's the best way to fix this? I thought some accounts would let you edit the cost basis on the Portfolio tab for a given date/security, but I'm not seeing that option anymore so I'm probably mis-remembering.

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You'll need to add the cost basis to each individual Add Shares transaction. Double click on the transaction and you can set the original cost of the shares as well as the original purchase date. (If you click on the pencil next to Price Per Share you can enter that instead of the Total Cost.)

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You'll need to add the cost basis to each individual Add Shares transaction. Double click on the transaction and you can set the original cost of the shares as well as the original purchase date. (If you click on the pencil next to Price Per Share you can enter that instead of the Total Cost.)

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And FYI as you probably know, for 401K and IRA accounts the cost basis is not needed for taxes. Anything you withdraw is 100% taxed as ordinary income unless it was in a ROTH account or you contributed after tax money.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Eric N
    Eric N Member
    Options

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

And yes I know its not needed for taxes, it just pollutes the portfolio view's percent gain/loss, over any roll-up that includes that account.

This discussion has been closed.