How best to create a new file, with same categories, but no transactions?

Options
andream5
andream5 Member ✭✭

Hello. For 2024, I'd like to have a new Quicken file with all my same categories but no transaction history so I can start fresh.

Is the best way to create a new file and manually-populate the categories?

Or is there a way to export the categories into a fresh file?

I doubt it would make sense to duplicate the file then delete thousands of old transactions.

What's the best way to do this?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Do File > File Export > QIF File…

Un-check all the options except for Category List. Export the QIF file and import it into your new empty QDF file.

I believe this will also export Tags, so watch for that if you don't want them. You can manually edit the QIF file to contain only what you want.

That said, we never recommend starting a new file for the new year. It's best to keep all your history in one file; once split apart, reassembly is practically impossible.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@andream5 Do you want the existing accounts (and their balances) brought over?

Do you want existing connectivity to your financial institutions brought over?

And, as @Rocket J Squirrel mentioned, putting Humpty together again is next to impossible.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.