Adding a "Transfer" category

Options
toycept
toycept Member ✭✭

Hello. Using Quicken for Mac. I'm setting up new accounts for the new year with new categories for my spending and income. I'd like to create 2 categories for when I transfer money between my checking and savings, savings and checking (so these transactions would not be "income" or "expense"). I thought if I used the default Transfer category, which already has a subcategory for a credit card, I could add the new checking to savings/savings to checking categories there. That would be good but the program does not let me do that. Any suggestions how to create a new category and sub category without including them as income or expenses?

Thank you for the help!

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

You don't need to create a new category for this. There's a Transfer column you can use to make transfers between accounts; it might not be visible by default, in which case you can press the Columns button in the lower right corner to make it visible.

To use it, when you're entering the transfer transaction in one account, put the other account in the transfer column. For example if you want to transfer some money from Savings to Checking, enter the withdrawal transaction in the Savings account register & put Checking in the Transfer field.

You can also enter transfers directly in the Category column by entering "Transfer:" followed by the account name in square brackets. In the above example, you could put "Transfer:[Checking]" in the Category field.

Here's an example where I'm using a transfer to pay a credit card bill:

(In Settings on the Register tab there's a selection for "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field". If that isn't checked, you'll need to check it to get the category field method to work. You might need to restart Quicken after modifying that setting for it to take effect.)

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• toycept
    toycept Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much. I get it now. Appreciate your help!!

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

In addition to using the category "Transfer", you may want to consider using "Transfer" as the payee. Then create two QuickFill rules for payee "Transfer", one with category "Transfer:[checking]" and one with category "Transfer:[savings]". These will then pop up when you start entering payee "Transfer" in the register, saving the trouble of fill the rest of the fields. You might even want to add Amount, Memo and/or Tags to these QuickFill rules if you commonly use the same values for these fields. You can also lock the rules so they don't change if you occasionally change one of the values.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.