thinking of coming back to quicken (mac)

Options
scy
scy Member

Happy New Year— where can I see a chart listing what each mac version of quicken does. Lots of conflicting info out there.. not clear what is the difference (Jan. 2024) between deluxe and premier. I had no choice but to leave quicken 2007/revised when after I could no longer use quicken with the mac system ( the one before catalina was the last). I switched to banktivity but I still prefer the old quicken. Where can I find a list. And will the new quicken import bantivity files? will it import old quicken files?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

According to this article, https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac , Quicken will import Banktivity if you can export as a .QIF file. I don't know what features/data may or may not be included. But it's like that some things (such as custom reports if Banktivity has those) would not transfer. The same article lists which old Quicken files can be imported.

For the difference between Deluxe and Premier, see this post:

You probably want to stay away from Starter as is is pretty stripped down, and not that much less expensive than Deluxe. There is also the recently released Business & Personal for Mac which includes some Business features. But these biz features are quite limited at this time as compared to the Windows version.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You probably want to stay away from Starter as is is pretty stripped down, and not that much less expensive than Deluxe.

To add to that, Starter will render your data file read-only if you stop your subscription.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 1
    Options

As for moving your Banktivity data to Quicken, it's possible but you'll probably have to do some cleaning up afterwards. You'll need to export your Banktivity data to a QIF file & then import that into Quicken:

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac

After that, here are the things you'll want to look at:

https://www.quicken.com/support/issues-after-importing-banktivity-or-moneydance-data-quicken-mac

I recommend reading both articles before exporting your data, the second one lists some things you can do beforehand to improve the exported data.

One thing that's not listed that I remember having an issue with is Quicken de-duping transactions that appeared to be identical but weren't really duplicates. For me this was an issue with ATM withdrawals; on several occasions I had two withdrawals on the same day for the same amount but only one of them got imported into Quicken. I had to hunt down & add the missing withdrawals by hand.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• scy
    scy Member
    Options

So what files does Quicken Supreme or the Delux export? (mac)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 6
    Options

Export:

The grayed out ones are just because I didn't such window opened.

Or did you mean Import:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

So what files does Quicken Supreme or the Delux export? (mac)

I think you meant Quicken Premier or Quicken Deluxe. (Unless there's a new Quicken Supreme I haven't read about yet!) 🤣

Are you asking in terms of moving your data out if you determine you want to move to some other system? Quicken has not designed functionality to make it easy for users to migrate their data to competing software programs. You can export each of your account registers, and your budget, to CSV files. You can export investment Portfolio views to CSV files as well, but that likely wouldn't be helpful in migrating. You can export a .txf file of tax data in a format designed for import into TurboTx.

If you were looking for other information about exporting, please add more details.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    Options

Mostly only QXF, which is now mostly used as a migration path from Quicken Mac to Windows and vice versa. There is no control as to its content. It is an all or nothing function at the moment. It is proprietary, so no other software I know can read it.

There is also still the QMTF format, which is just a QIF format, mostly used to migrate back to QM2007 if needed.

(Consider adding a vote here: Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export)

There are a couple of other export capabilities, like exporting a register or report to CSV, for use in a spreadsheet, etc, or the Tax Report for .TXF for use by TurboTax (and possibly other tax software?).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.