Do not include parentheses within Category names which have sub-categories

Options
user17881
user17881 Member ✭✭
edited February 1 in Reports (Windows)

I was having problems getting ACTUALS to show up in a monthly budget report. The category was showing up on the report, the BUDGET amount was showing, and an (incorrect) variance/difference was showing, but NO ACTUAL was showing - the actual showed up only as $0.

After much trial and error, I discovered the problem resulted from having parentheses in the NAME OF THE CATEGORY. That is, when my category was named "Sunnyslope (net)" no actuals were reported - but when I changed the category name to "Sunnyslope - net" the report worked properly, showing the actuals, the budget, and the correct difference.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Something else may be going on. I have a limited number of categories with parentheses - such as Social Security (spouse) and Social Security (me). They have always appeared in reports adequately. I don't normally use budget reports, but just tried (Report / Spending / Current Budget) and they showed there fine as well.

• user17881
    user17881 Member ✭✭
    edited January 1
    Options

q_lurker, you are right, that some other categories with parentheses are working properly. Like you, I also have "Social Security (Spouse)" and I believe it was a default Quicken category. I also see I have another self-created category whose name includes parentheses which is also working properly. But neither of those categories (for me) has sub-categories.

I now suspect that the issue is related to the combination of parentheses in the category name AND have that category having sub-categories.

Based on you pointing this out, I have modified the topic heading. Thank you again, q_lurker.

This discussion has been closed.