Starting a clean quicken file going forward

Options
Quicksm
Quicksm Member

I want to start a clean Quicken file starting Jan 1, 2024. I have a file going back several years and well for a while life stuff was more important than keeping it updated. I want to start afresh (as in I don't want any previous transactions, just starting balances for Jan 1 and then txns going forward) without having to set up all the accounts from scratch.

I looked at creating a backup, but that copies everything, so it doesn't seem like it will do what I want. Any ideas?

I am using Quicken for Mac, Premier.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Quicken Mac doesn't do that for you automatically. The best you can do is make a copy of your file, delete all the transactions from all the accounts, and add a starting balance transaction for each one.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I don't know how many accounts you have, but why not just start a new file (menu File > New). Keep the old file for historical records and to pull the starting balances for the new file.

If you don't want to go thru setting up the accounts again, I think the only way to do this would be to make a copy of your file, then go into each register, select all transactions (menu Edit > Select All) and delete them (menu Transactions > Delete Transactions). Depending on the number of transactions, it can take Quicken a long time to clear them out of the database, so grab a beverage and wait.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.