When I remove shares in the past, portfolio value is wrong

Options
M Diamond
M Diamond Member ✭✭
edited February 3 in Investing (Mac)

A brokerage merged with another, so my account got moved. I am trying to close the old account in Quicken. I did this back in May 2023 and it seemed to work. But today I see the portfolio value of the closed, hidden account is not zero. (The transactions show cash and shares are 0.)

I decided to start over. I deleted the transactions used to close the account (Remove Shares, and a cash balance adjustment). Then I closed the account again, and the portfolio value is fixed. But since I closed it today the account is getting double-counted for 7 months.

If I try to adjust the dates of the Remove Shares transactions back to May 2023, things get very weird. I can move it to August 1, 2023, but any earlier and the portfolio value is completely wrong. For example, let's say on 8/1/23 I removed all the shares and the value fell from $1000 to $0. If I remove the shares one day earlier on 7/31, the portfolio now says it fell from $2000 to $1000. (or so… the numbers I saw were approximately doubled, but I didn't verify it to the penny)

This makes no sense to me.

Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.