Quicken frequently crashes Windows explorer

Options
ajkessel
ajkessel Member ✭✭✭

For many years now, Quicken has frequently caused Windows explorer, or at least the taskbar component, to crash. This is observable when Quicken is maximized. When taking simple actions like, e.g., changing accounts, the taskbar will momentarily disappear, Quicken will maximize to fill the entire screen, then the taskbar will return, and Quicken will be resized to fill the usable screen area.

I've never seen remotely similar behavior with any other application.

I'm currently on Win10 22H2 (19045.3803) and Quicken Classic R53.32 but have seen this behavior for years.

Anyone else see this? Any ideas for how to prevent it?

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @ajkessel,

When you say that Windows crashes, are you discussing the taskbar disappearing momentarily? Do you notice any other issues? Does the taskbar work correctly after reappearing? Do you receive any error codes or messages when this occurs?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just the taskbar disappearing, the Quicken window resizing, the taskbar reappearing, and then the Quicken window resizing. It happens frequently when I move between accounts and I have to wait for it to complete to use the application. It is consistent with what happens if you kill explorer.exe in task manager and it automatically re-launches itself. The taskbar works fine after re-launching and there is no visible error message.

• ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I can note, perhaps relatedly, that Quicken has always been very slow to respond for me. I have the highest end 2023 X1 Carbon available, 16GB RAM, 1TTB SSD, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P 12 Core CPU, and yet it is still painful to just switch between various accounts and fill in categories.

• ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Any suggestions here? I've never had any luck with official customer support either.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please try this:
    Go into Windows Taskbar Properties and deselect "Auto-hide Taskbar".
    This keeps the Taskbar permanently on screen and reduces any maximized window to only use the screen area above the Taskbar.

• ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Taskbar is already permanent — "Auto-hide Taskbar" is not enabled.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not experiencing that behavior and never have. It sounds as if the Auto-hide Taskbar feature is misfiring and that is definitely not normal behavior and Quicken Support would be of no help because it's not a Quicken issue or we'd all have the issue. I would start troubleshooting your Windows installation. It could be any one of 1001 things, but first, I'd make sure my graphics driver was up to date. Assuming your Windows installation is up to date, next, run DISM and SFC to verify system health.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

• ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Options

I've run sfc /scannow, dism /cleanup-image, etc. I've had issues like this on three different laptops with fresh OEM Windows installs multiple times. I update all drivers and get all Windows updates weekly.

I recognize it may not be common, but I do think it must be a Quicken bug, because I regularly use dozens of other applications and never see any behavior remotely like this.

There are various public bug reports of similar behavior. I'm not sure if this is identical to my issue, but here's an unresolved example:

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you running Quicken in "Maximize" mode, to fill the entire screen?
    If you are, try this instead:
    Take the Quicken window from "Maximize" mode to "Restore down" so it only fills a portion of the screen.
    Now make the Quicken window bigger. Drag it to the top left corner of the screen and make it larger, to fill the screen only to the top of the Taskbar and to as close to the right edge as you need.

Now, when working with Quicken in this not quite maximized mode, does that remove the unwanted behavior?

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

After trying @UKR suggestion, if it still exhibits the same behavior, I'd try starting Windows in safe mode and running Quicken to see if you can duplicate the issue. I'm not sure if Quicken will run in safe mode, but it's a quick troubleshooting step to perform.

• ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

That does seem to eliminate at least the resizing issue. So I can do that as a workaround. Does it tell us anything useful about the root of the problem? Any way to get this on Quicken's radar?

The UI is still slower than I would expect on a high-end 2023 windows machine. Changing from one account to another can take 5-10 seconds, for example. I've tried the usual tips for performance — reconciled all my investment accounts, wiping all memorized payees — but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

I somewhat suspect the nonresponsive UI is related to the taskbar issue but I can't prove it.

This discussion has been closed.