Quicken for Windows Bank Download

Options
BP69
BP69 Member

I just downloaded 2022 and 2023 transactions from my online banking. They all posted to the account in Quicken as 1922 and 1923. Help???

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did you download / import using QIF files?

The Y2K bug still rears its ugly head

I can only guess, but it looks like the QIF import file is using an incorrect Date format for your transactions. Have you ever heard of the Y2K bug? That's what's going on here, in your system, as it is configured right now ...

If all the dates in the import file are formatted MM/DD/YY with a 2-digit year, then the date is interpreted as MM/DD/19YY

The dates would have to be formatted as

• either MM/DD'YY with a 2-digit year and a single quote before the year, to be interpreted as MM/DD/20YY
    • or the dates would have to be formatted with a 4-digit year, MM/DD/20YY, to be read correctly.

Take a look at your computer's Short Date in Windows / Control Panel / Region / Formats / Additional Settings / Date. See image below from my Windows 8.1 system.

Change your settings to display dates as Short Date with a format of M/d/yyyy

Also set the "When a two-digit year is entered" (to use a sliding 100-year calendar rule) to "2059" or higher. This will force a date MM/DD/18 to be interpreted as MM/DD/2018

Save and apply the changes.

Reboot Windows to make sure the changes are activated.

Now re-import the QIF file into a new empty Quicken data file and see if that gives correct results.

If not, edit the QIF import file with Notepad or any other ASCII text file editor and change all dates from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/20YY or MM/DD'YY and re-import into a new Quicken data file.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did you download / import using QIF files?

The Y2K bug still rears its ugly head

I can only guess, but it looks like the QIF import file is using an incorrect Date format for your transactions. Have you ever heard of the Y2K bug? That's what's going on here, in your system, as it is configured right now ...

If all the dates in the import file are formatted MM/DD/YY with a 2-digit year, then the date is interpreted as MM/DD/19YY

The dates would have to be formatted as

• either MM/DD'YY with a 2-digit year and a single quote before the year, to be interpreted as MM/DD/20YY
    • or the dates would have to be formatted with a 4-digit year, MM/DD/20YY, to be read correctly.

Take a look at your computer's Short Date in Windows / Control Panel / Region / Formats / Additional Settings / Date. See image below from my Windows 8.1 system.

Change your settings to display dates as Short Date with a format of M/d/yyyy

Also set the "When a two-digit year is entered" (to use a sliding 100-year calendar rule) to "2059" or higher. This will force a date MM/DD/18 to be interpreted as MM/DD/2018

Save and apply the changes.

Reboot Windows to make sure the changes are activated.

Now re-import the QIF file into a new empty Quicken data file and see if that gives correct results.

If not, edit the QIF import file with Notepad or any other ASCII text file editor and change all dates from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/20YY or MM/DD'YY and re-import into a new Quicken data file.

• BP69
    BP69 Member
    Options

UKR, thank you so much! I checked my settings as you suggested, and they are already set as you recommend.

Meanwhile, after I posted, I went back to an old (more involved) method of downloading, by creating a qfx file on my bank's website. This time it interpreted the dates correctly.

I plan on trying to set up One-Step Updates for all my accounts, but, also per your suggestion will first do it in an empty Quicken file to test.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.