Need Help Closing Checking Account - Error in Details Below

Options
dan.greenberg.ct
dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭

I'm trying to close a checking account (Sonoma, latest Mac release). I'm getting the following error:

"You cannot close an account while it has any scheduled, future-dated, or pending payment transactions."

I've found some hints to get around this but none seem to work.

I have no scheduled transactions (verified on calendar looking out 5 years, looked at next 12 months of transactions in register, looked at Next One Due in register).

I had some transactions that were marked as Sent. I option-clicked deleted transaction and changed to Manual (didn't actually delete but changes the status so it's no longer pending).

I have many transactions with a check number of VENMO that I manually entered. Perhaps non-numeric values are the issue? I'd rather not go into all of them and change them. I also have one with a check number of VOID. I think Quicken at one time did that but no longer does.

I reviewed the status column of all the transactions. One transaction had a white envelope icon. I changed the status so it no longer shows that.

I disconnected the account from online downloads though I didn't see this as a possible solution but figured it was worth a try.

I do not use Quicken Bill Pay.

I checked, checked and checked again and can't find anything else that looks like an anomaly.

Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 5
    Options

Non-numeric check numbers shouldn't be an issue - I have closed accounts with ATM withdrawal transactions that have "ATM" in the check number field.

Check the Bills & Income tab and make sure there aren't any transactions for that account listed anywhere.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

For transactions that have white envelop or marked Sent, try option-deleting (actually deleting them) instead of changing their status. Create new manual transactions in their place if needed to make the balance correct.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dan.greenberg.ct
    Options

Nothing in Billis and Income and no white envelopes. I had already checked that. I did add the Action column and more transactions showed up there as Sent. I option deleted those too, changing the status, and still the same result.

• RickO
    Options

I don't know if it would help, but I'm suggesting actually deleting the ones that were marked Sent, rather than just changing the status.

• dan.greenberg.ct
    Options

Thanks but I'm hoping to not have to do that as I'd have to go to a backup. Not the end of the world though if I do it soon. For now I moved the account to Separate and eventually may just end up hiding it if I can't figure it out.

• RickO
    Options

If the balance is zero and you have disconnected downloads, and you hide it, I guess being closed doesn't really matter. Except for one subtle thing. That is, if you have an account marked closed, but not hidden, you can uncheck the box to show closed accounts in the sidebar. You will not see the account in the sidebar, but its transactions will still appear when you search in a group register (e.g., Credit Cards). I love this since I can search all credit card transactions, even ones in old closed accounts, without having the accounts appear in the sidebar. This is a much faster search than searching All Transaction, which includes the huge number of transactions in Investing.

• dan.greenberg.ct
    Options

It would be great if the dialog box gave an option to show which transactions are in question. I went through showing/hiding various columns and found more suspect items but none were the culprit. For example, I've recently been plagued with the red arrow on transfers indicating they aren't valid though they are. Deleting the offset and adding the same back clears it. I'm not sure yet what causes this but I thought it was just recent transactions but this exercise shows it impacted older ones too. If I had to guess though, I would say it recently happened to old transactions vs. it happened years ago and went unnoticed.

• dan.greenberg.ct
    edited January 6
    Options

Well I was able to finally delete it. I selected all transactions in the register, option-Delete button and got this dialog:

Deleting this transaction does not cancel the bill payment or transfer. Check with your financial institution to determine if it has been received before doing this.

I selected Set to Manual and was able to close the account. I have to idea what transaction was at issue however since I don't use Quicken Bill Pay, I must have overlooked one of those red arrow transfers I mentioned above. Thanks for your suggestions too.

• RickO
    Options

Glad you got it fixed. Good info for anyone else dealing with this in the future.

• dan.greenberg.ct
    Options

Thanks. To be clear, the process I did was the same. The difference was that initially I looked for individual transactions that were suspect and selected Set to Manual when I clicked delete while holding the option key down. In the end, I selected all of the transactions (command-A) and then did the same Set to Manual. Hope it helps someone else.

This discussion has been closed.