Can't add an account for Roth IRA contribution

micktee
micktee Quicken Windows Subscription Member
edited February 10 in Investing (Windows)

I just switched my new contributions to Roth, and I'm having trouble updating my paycheck. I can see the Roth IRA category for a new after-tax deduction in the paycheck form, but when I try to select an account, my existing 401K account is not listed, and if I create a new account (even via the <Add a new account> selection in the pull down) even that account ends up not being selectable. I understand from other posts that the roth IRA feature has usability issues, and that downloads from places like fidelity don't allow you to properly separate the roth portion from the traditional, but the only option I can see in front of me is to allow quicken to continue tracking the contributions as pre-tax, even though that's wrong. I'm sure that screws up other things down the road.

How can I get my 401K account to show up in the roth 401k account list so that I can track the contributions as after tax?

The attachment shows that neither my existing 401k account, nor the one that I just created via <Add a new account> selection in the pull down, is selectable as the destination for the contribution.

Comments

• fciani
    fciani Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Are you trying to use the same 401k account for both 401k taxable and Roth 401k non-taxable? The 401k and Roth 401K accounts appear in separate parts of the paycheck screen. They also need to be separate accounts in quicken as they are defined differently.

• markus1957
    markus1957 Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

Quicken has some refresh issues after data changes. Try closing Quicken and reopen it, then check to see if the new Roth account is showing in the pull-down menu. If it is, use Report a Problem to let Quicken know of your specific example.

This discussion has been closed.