How do I add a money market fund manually in Quicken Mac?

Options
willeaton
willeaton Member ✭✭

I have an annuity in Transamerica (previously Vanguard) and Quicken will not seem to connect to it. Therefore, I need to add an account manually. When I enter the value as a Deposit, it does not show in the Market Value. What am I doing wrong?

Tagged:

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 7
    Options

For investing accounts, Quicken defaults to showing the market value for the close of the last business day. If you added a deposit dated yesterday or today it won't appear in the Market value yet because it's still showing Friday's value. You can override that by going to the Portfolio tab and changing the date to today's date. The problem should go away on Monday evening when Quicken starts showing Monday's market value.

If that isn't the issue, then perhaps you could post a screen shot of the deposit transaction & we can see if there's something else going on.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• willeaton
    willeaton Member ✭✭
    Options

Jon, this taken just now. It doesn't want to change the Market Value. Thanks for helping.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 9
    Options

@willeaton You purchased shares in a money market fund but where did the cash come from? The balance column shows a large negative balance. If you look at the Portfolio tab what's the total? If you spent cash that you didn't have in the account there's going to be a outstanding negative cash balance that brings the total account value back to zero.

Here's an example where I added a single purchase transaction & the Market value is still zero:

When I look at the Portfolio tab you can see there's a negative cash balance offsetting the money market shares:

When I add a transaction depositing cash into the account, then the market value looks better:

If you simply want to show what shares are held in the account without having to enter the entire transaction history of the account, use an Add Shares transaction instead of a Buy.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• willeaton
    willeaton Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! That fixed the problem.

This discussion has been closed.