Quicken for Mac does not download transactions for just one Roth IRA. How to diagnose?

Options
manderic
manderic Member ✭✭

We have 5 accounts at Vanguard. Two Roth IRAs, two traditional Rollover IRAs, plus a non-IRA brokerage account.

I set up to connect with and download all of them using the same process. All of them are set up for "Detailed (positions and transactions)" processing. One Vanguard login has one Roth IRA and one Rollover IRA and the other Vanguard login has the other Roth IRA and Rollover IRA. (The non-IRA account can be accessed via either login.)

(We also have other non-Vanguard accounts, but that is not relevant.)

When updating all online accounts, no problems are reported. The update window claims that it connected with all the Vanguard accounts. Yet just one of the Roth IRAs does not show any transactions or even any balance. Whereas one other account correctly has a balance of zero, this problematic Roth IRA (that should have transactions and a balance) has no transactions and the balance field in the sidebar is just an ellipsis "…". It isn't even zero.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, and even deleting and creating it fresh. Since I've created this as a new link, there shouldn't be any inconsistencies or incompatibilities related to old vs. new data or formats for the account. It is starting fresh from whatever is the case now.

Yet while every other Vanguard account works as expected, this one will not get the transactions and balance even though it does not announce any problems or errors. This is so even though two other Vanguard accounts are being correctly accessed via the same Vanguard logon in the same connection session.

I have Quicken Classic Deluxe version 7.4.2 (Build 704.51578.100)

Comments

• manderic
    manderic Member ✭✭
    Options

I will add that all the Vanguard accounts are being accessed by
    Connection Type: Direct Connect

The troublesome Roth IRA is set to "Download all available transactions".

• manderic
    manderic Member ✭✭
    Options

Switching the problem account to "Simple (positions only)" does not help. So it seems to not be a problem with downloading the transactions.

• manderic
    manderic Member ✭✭
    Options

Help at Vanguard declares that they see nothing different about this one account that would prevent downloading its information.

• manderic
    manderic Member ✭✭
    Options

Further testing suggests that it may have something to do specifically with using Direct Connect to the main "Vanguard" source. (It does not seem to be an issue with Quicken Connect to "Vanguard - Personal Investors", but that alternate connection method does not support downloading transactions at all.)

• manderic
    manderic Member ✭✭
    Options

When I connected with a Quicken support agent, she ultimately was able to take me through a process where I created a test version of the account in a temporary instance of Quicken. In this isolated version, the download was able to take place fine. Then we exported that version, deleted the original version that would not download transactions, and imported the working version that we had exported from the test Quicken session. Once that was set up to download, the process worked (though the extra instances of a few duplicated downloaded transactions had to be deleted to make the balance correct).

She suspected the Quicken had gotten confused, possibly due to the presence of other test accounts with that account number. Getting it to work in the isolated test session helped it to start from a completely clean slate.

This discussion has been closed.