Can not enter data

Options
RMW
RMW Member ✭✭✭

I have a peculiar problem with Quicken Windows. I am using Quicken Classic Business and Personal.

All works fine but then suddenly Quicken does not accept any data entry from my keyboard.

Only Quicken is affected.

Only fix so far, close QW and restart.

But the problem keeps coming back.

Anyone having this issue? Any advice?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @RMW,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Do you run Quicken for Windows directly on a Windows device, or do you run it on a Virtual Machine in a Mac or Linux device? Which version of Windows are you using (Windows 11, 10, 8, or a different version)? Were there any recent changes to your system configuration or keyboard that happened around the same time as this issue started? About how often does this issue happen? Is there any pattern to it (for instance, does it happen only when making updates in a specific account register)? When this issue happens, does Quicken recognize any keyboard commands at all (for instance, are you able to use keyboard shortcuts even when its not letting you enter data)?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

See answers below:

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? About 2-3 weeks ago.Do you run Quicken for Windows directly on a Windows device, or do you run it on a Virtual Machine in a Mac or Linux device? Virtual Machine on a Mac. Which version of Windows are you using (Windows 11, 10, 8, or a different version)? Windows 11. Were there any recent changes to your system configuration or keyboard that happened around the same time as this issue started? No changes .About how often does this issue happen? More and more frequently. Just happened now. Is there any pattern to it (for instance, does it happen only when making updates in a specific account register)? No clear pattern that I can see. I just updated one entry in my checking register and the problem occurred when I tried to go to the next entry. When this issue happens, does Quicken recognize any keyboard commands at all (for instance, are you able to use keyboard shortcuts even when its not letting you enter data)? Quicken does NOT recognize any keyboard commands, including boot being able to type anything in Quicken Community. I had to go outside of Quicken to reply to your message.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If I'm understanding correctly, this is happening both in your Quicken program and also when accessing the Quicken Community from your web browser? Do you use the Virtual Machine only for Quicken? What kind of Virtual Machine do you use? Have you reached out to their support to see if there may be a something in the settings conflicting with Quicken?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭
    Options

See answers below

If I'm understanding correctly, this is happening both in your Quicken program and also when accessing the Quicken Community from your web browser? Only Quicken; web browser works fine. Do you use the Virtual Machine only for Quicken? No, also for MS Office. What kind of Virtual Machine do you use? Parallels Desktop. Have you reached out to their support to see if there may be a something in the settings conflicting with Quicken? Not yet.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How much RAM have you assigned to the VM?
    I read somewhere that you should allocate 16 GB RAM to the VM. Any less and you might be running out of memory in Windows.

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think 16 GB. But I think I may have found the cause of this problem.

The issue only occurs when Safari (Mac) and Quicken (Windows) are open at the same time.

Hiding or closing Safari will allow Quicken data entry again.

Go figure!

I have e-mailed Parallels tech support to see if there is a fix.

Thanks.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for responding.
    If you haven't done so already, also contact the Apple user communities to see if they know anything about this interaction with Safari.
    And, please keep us posted on what you find out.

This discussion has been closed.