Balance information in sidebar for investment accounts

Options
Allan L.
Allan L. Member ✭✭

The balance figures in the sidebar for my investment accounts at Schwab (which are updated on line) don't agree with the actual numbers. How can I fix this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Allan L. Is it just the sidebar value which differs from the Schwab site? Or when you go to the Portfolio, is the value off there, too?

Without seeing your data, it's hard to guess at the source of the problem from the little bit you shared. My suggestion would be to take your simplest investment account (the one with the least securities) with Schwab and dig into the discrepancy. Go to Portfolio view and if the total disagrees tis Schwab, then look at each of your securities to compare the number of shares, price per share, and resulting market value between the Quicken Portfolio and the Schwab website. You should be able to narrow the source of the problem: it could be a wrong share price, an incorrect number of shares, a wrong cash balance, but you should be able to see what's different. Post back with more information if you still need help with this issue.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for this. In fact, both the sidebar and the Portfolio view are wrong. When I look at transactions, I see some transactions simply missing from the Quicken transaction list. The prospect of auditing and manually correcting the Quicken file strikes a lazy person like me (after all, I pay for Quicken) as tedious and unappealing. I guess I can post a balance adjustment and recognize that the record of transactions is wrong. As an alternative, what would happen if I deleted a particular investment account in Quicken and re-added it? Any other way to address this?

• Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    Options

Update: I found a journal transfer that had one side entered in Quicken but did not appear in the other account. A manual entry fixed that I don’t know why this error happened.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. In most cases like this, it's a matter of hunting gown one account's holdings to see what's off. As to how/why it happened, it's usually hard to say: bad information from the financial institution, bad account matching in Quicken, user error… Hopefully, it's not a recurring issue, and you can just shrug and go forward with things now looking correct.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • exchilango
    exchilango Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue with a couple of Baird accounts, but since Baird only allows simple tracking (no transactions) there's no way to dig deeper. I'm a brand new Quicken user. Are my numbers always going to be off?

This discussion has been closed.