Is there any way to make Quicken perform faster?

Options
jbsmith22
jbsmith22 Member

Hi folks,

I have a large (I suspect small compared to some here) Quicken file with around 60k transactions total and it is (and has been) very very slow. It takes around 5 seconds to update any transaction in any account. Performance doesn't seem to change based on the account register I'm looking at or if I'm looking at an "all transactions" view. When I want to change a dozen or so Payees or Categories in the Find and Replace view it can take a full minute or more. That's a LONG time to change out a text field in a database.

Assuming others seem similar performance issues, is there anything people do to speed up the performance? Can I export some transactions and only work on, say the last year, and then put them back? Any other ways to make it more performant? Some kind of DB optimization routine I can run? I realize it's 30 years of data, but on a modern computer with M.2 drives and more than enough memory, it feels like it should be instantaneous.

Appreciate any ideas.

Jason

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I would suggest (it is a little bit of trouble):

File/Copy or Backup File/Create a Copy or Template

You can change the file name if wanted but leave all else default. This will be your new data file (It will leave the old file in tact and untouched)

THIS WILL DISABLE ALL ONLINE Function which is why this can be a pain. This is really the only way to rebuild the database record by record to see if it fixes your problem. If doesn't help, just go back and open your original file.

If it helps and you want to keep this new file:

You need to re-enable ALL online accounts for access so you will need to know all the passwords etc,,

Let us know if this helps

This discussion has been closed.