Quicken Takes Very Long Time to Start

Options

Happened before now it's worse.

Quicken Starter (version: R53.32, build: 27.1.53.32) has been taking forever to start. 20 - 30 seconds. When it does load it doesn't display the proper tab.

Any ideas?

James

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, so the problem is with QWin, not your data. I would first try installing the manual patch from here even though you're already at that version level. Failing that, I'd uninstall & reinstall QWin.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please try this:

Before starting Quicken Pause Microsoft OneDrive (there's a Taskbar icon to control OneDrive)
    Start Quicken and see if it performs any faster
    Resume MS OneDrive when done using Quicken.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have OneDrive uninstalled.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What I said above, I should have mentioned that this also applies to any other cloud backup software that you might be using.

Where is your Quicken data file located? Networked drives and/or any external USB devices are not supported as the location for your active Quicken data file.
    The default location for your Quicken data files should be
    C:\Users\_your_Windows_username_here\Documents\Quicken

During startup, does Quicken Sync to the Cloud server, for use with Quicken on the Web or the Quicken Mobile app? Or does it perform a One Step Update? Or both?
    See Edit / Preferences / Startup for settings and to select the Startup Location view.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

As I said OneDrive is not installed on my system.
    My data is located on a partition of my C: drive.
    If Quicken is syncing to the Cloud I'm not aware of it. Quicken gives me no indication it is.
    Not sure what Startup has to do with this but I'm starting Quicken in the 'Bills' tab.

I validated the data file and Quicken found no issues.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Try holding the CTRL key while starting Quicken. This causes it not to open a data file. That should tell you whether the startup slowness is inherent in Quicken or due to the data file.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same thing. Started slow.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, so the problem is with QWin, not your data. I would first try installing the manual patch from here even though you're already at that version level. Failing that, I'd uninstall & reinstall QWin.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Reinstalling seems to have worked.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I spoke too soon.

Quicken once again is taking forever to load.

Even events within Quicken takes forever.

Was ok after reinstall yesterday.
    I made no changes to my system and Windows 11 instaled no updates.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've just about had with Quicken!

I spend more time troubleshooting this app then I do managing my accounts.

I don't know why it's acting like this but I won't have worry about it anymore.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Create a new test data file in a non-Onedrive path. (Saying that you've got your data file on the C Drive doesn't necessarily mean you don't have it in a Onedrive path as the Onedrive path is on the C Drive by default.) Does it load quicker? If so, the data file you're attempting to load is probably corrupt.

• James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have Onedrive installed.
    My data is on drive E, which is a partition on C.
    Also, it takes very long to load, but once it does, everything I do in Quicken is extremely slow.