Quicken crashes when I select a current car loan

Options
gregnugget
gregnugget Member ✭✭✭

Quicken crashes when a select a current car loan. Quicken thinks the loan ended in December but it really ends in February. (I've posted about this problem but no one had an answer.) Today is the first payment date due after Quicken thought it ended. I tried multiple times to access the account in Property and Debt. I forced the payment from the checking account. Makes no difference. It kicks me out of the program. It's bizarre that I can't even look at it. I have a 2nd car loan and that account is just fine. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @gregnugget,

Are you receiving any error codes or messages? When did this issue begin to occur? Which financial institution is the car loan with?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    Options

No error codes. After a brief few seconds following clicking the loan account, Quicken just stops and I’m returned to my home PC screen. This happened at least 5 or 6 times. The issue began today as the 14th of the month is my payment due date and I wanted to record the debit to my checking account. This is all done manually. The lender is not linked to my loan in Quicken.

• gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Update - today I was able to get into the car loan without the program crashing. Here's a screenshot of what it tells me are upcoming payment dates:

Reminder that the final payment is supposed to be 2/14/2024.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks to me as if something has damaged your Quicken data file.

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions. I did as you mentioned and the validation and super validation did not detect anything regarding the car loan. I'll also note that I once again cannot open the car loan. Quicken crashes when I click on the loan. What I did to "fix" the false payments was delete the loan payment reminders and manually entered a bill for the final payment due date. I guess I'll be stuck with Quicken thinking I never closed the loan but I can just hide the account. The problem started almost a year ago when Quicken kept trying to adjust my final payment, thinking the final payment was due two months earlier than it actually was. I kept adjusting it until I couldn't anymore since Quicken thought the loan was over. I've entered too much data since even mid December to want to go back to a prior backed-up file.

This discussion has been closed.