After over 30 years, about ready to give up on Quicken due to the number of sync errors in 2023/2024

Options

In 2023, most of my accounts had sync problems. This includes My Bank, Fidelity, Discover Bank, and Discover Card. To resolve the issues, I had to rebuild the accounts from scratch. This resulted in losing years of historical data.

In my current Quicken file, I have transactions dating back to 1991. Prior to 2023, I don't recall having any sync issues. I had to spend way too much time fixing all these issues. One of my accounts was working until a Quicken support representative had me take steps to fix another account, and the working account broke. So, after support, I had two accounts that would not sync. I'm not sure I can trust support. I even warned the agent this was wrong before I did it.

I still have a Discover Savings account messed up. It will not sync at all. It appears I will need to rebuild that one as well.

There needs to be a better way to resolve these types of issues without losing data.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you say you "rebuild an account", does that mean you delete the account register, together with all its transactions?
    In most cases, IMHO, that's not necessary. No wonder you're losing history.
    Instead, you could create a new account register as of a certain starting date, with an appropriate Opening Balance and then connect this new account register instead of the old one.
    Now all you have to do is some cleanup, to eliminate duplicate transactions in (or between) both old and new registers, reenter missing transactions and update any Scheduled Reminders to use the new account register instead.

• RogerRoger
    RogerRoger Member
    Options

That is what I did, with the exception of manually syncing the transactions between the two registers. I still need to update all the scheduled reminders.

However, users should not have to go through all this to fix a syncing issue. There should be a way to remove all sync data. Resetting did not fix the issue.

This discussion has been closed.