Negative Cash Balance with Investment Account

Options
BJ_+_01bain
BJ_+_01bain Member
edited February 17 in Investing (Windows)

I noticed several individuals have commented on a negative cash balance in investment accounts. This year Vanguard transitioned to a new(er) brokerage platform converting members from their previous legacy platform. I never had ANY problems with the old legacy platform in downloading transactions and reconciling all accounts to the penny. The conversion has been very frustrating on many fronts, including "removing" all accounts from the legacy account BUT never sending download transactions to "add" the transactions to matching brokerage accounts Mapping accounts from legacy-to-brokerage was similarly frustration. I take RMDs and after Federal and State taxes transfer the net withdrawal to a traditional (non-IRA) account. The Legacy account used traditional Quicken actions; the new brokerage accounts now add new action descriptions such as Sweep-in and Sweep-out; and oftentimes mix IRA and Traditional accounts when sending downloads. No detail is included in the download or online statements as what funds were included in the sweep action; thus following transaction streams is all but impossible. After reconciling the IRA account to assure all related transactions have been added to the register, the account and fund totals are balanced to the penny, yet a negative cash balance appears on the holdings account stream. Thus it appears the negative cash balance has NO impact on the account value. As another associate noted, this is very frustrating. NOTE: I have been a Quicken user since 1992 and have never been off a single penny in any of my bank and investment accounts; and have never added a "balancing" transaction to reconcile accounts monthly. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause and resolution. Validation or Super Validation does not resolve the issue

This discussion has been closed.