Using iMac, when you want to Back Up all of your Accounts to ext drive...

Options
Ron
Ron Member ✭✭

I only use Quicken to keeping track of my Rentals, when I want to Back Up all of those Accounts, do they all back up to the external drive at once? If so, when I want to do a Restore from Backup, the also come over all at once.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes the whole data file is backed up. All your accounts are in one data file, the .qdf file. Unless you set up separate data files.

There are 2 kinds of Backups in Quicken, Manual and Automatic.  For Manual Backups you can tell it where to put the backup file and if you want to add the current date to the end of the name or to overwrite any existing backup file.  If you add the date to the end of the name over time you will end up with a lot of files.  

In addition to any manual backups you make, Quicken makes an automatic backup after so many times (which you can set). Quicken makes all automatic backups to a folder named "BACKUP" in the same folder where your Quicken data resides. So if you have data files in separate folders then each folder will have a separate Backup subfolder.

Your data is kept in a file ending in .qdf. So look for files that might have .qdf or .qdf-backup in them.  Starting with the 2010 version they added "-backup" to the file extension.

To do a manual backup go to FILE - Backup and Restore -  Backup or do Ctrl+B.  Or I put a backup icon on my  toolbar.

How to Backup or Restore Quicken Data Files…….

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Files vs Accounts

FILES - Your data is kept in a separate Data FILE (and not in the program).   In the data File you have all your accounts.  You can have more than one File like a  separate file for your parents or children or a club. Recent Files opened should be listed at the bottom of the FILE menu item. Your data file ends in .qdf and should be in your Documents (or Library) then in a Quicken sub Folder.  Or you can search your computer for all files ending in .qdf to find them.  Go to FILE - NEW QUICKEN FILE  to setup another data file. When you do a backup it only backs up the file currently open.  You get the whole data file and all the accounts in that one file.

ACCOUNTS - You can have many accounts in a File like a checking account, savings, credit card, asset, investment. Accounts are listed down the side in the Account Bar. You can do Ctrl+A or go to TOOLS - ACCOUNT LIST to bring up the Account listing.  You do not backup Accounts separately.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you volvogirl for answering me on Backup.Nice to have someone follow up fast.

Ron J

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you're very welcome!

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.