Migration from Windows to Quicken for Mac - Bank Account balance is off by $450K

Options
drwho351
drwho351 Member ✭✭

Hello. Moved to Mac (Win version works for a few more days I believe). Mac Version 7.4.2 (Build 704.51578.100). Windows version was the latest in Dec 2023. Oddly the Windows version now says the subscription is good for a year from March.

I have exported my file from Windows into Mac Quicken and my primairy bank account with 21 years of data shows that instead of $16K I have $450K. I denied to my wife that I have a rich girlfriend, though we laughed.

I also noticed that the # of transactions don't match. My original file on Windows had 4,711 transactions for this account. The Mac version, after using Quicken Cloud to go through the conversion process, I have 4,817 transactions.

I'm curious if there are some members here who have some suggestions on where to start. While I'm skilled in Excel, I'm not thrilled about downloading the two and trying to do a lookup / match line by line to see if I can find and subsequently remove the incorrect transactions.

While I may not "need" 20+ years of data - it has been good to go back and look at various details.

Thanks

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 19
    Options

I'd start by going back to the beginning of the account & then comparing the year end balance each year between Windows & Mac; that should help you to narrow down where the extra transactions are and where the balance is going off track.

Split transactions with transfers - such as paychecks with 401K contributions - are one thing I'd pay particular attention to.

You subscription covers both Windows & Mac, so they should both be good for the same amount of time.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• drwho351
    drwho351 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for that detailed advice. I know I have some split transactions or transfers - so this should be insightful. I'm also laughing (and thankful) about the comment on the subscription covering both platforms. That solves more current headache which is some of the reporting I need from the windows files from 2023. :)

I will report back with my results.

• Edward
    Edward Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried the conversion process too several times and never got good results. I've been using the Windows version since 2011 and don't want to lose that history. The conversion never brought in all of my data and there were major errors. My solution was to purchase Parallels Desktop and Windows for my M1 Mac. They run perfectly and I continue to use the Windows version. Note that this solution eats about 9GB of your RAM so be sure you have enough on your Mac.

This discussion has been closed.