Linde stock shares changed exchanges, how to carry over cost basis

Options
smvl808
smvl808 Member ✭✭
edited February 20 in Investing (Mac)

Hi everyone,

Here is the press release of what happened: Jan 18 (Reuters) - Shareholders have approved Linde's (LIN.N), opens new tab, delisting from the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (FSE), the world's largest industrial gases firm said on Wednesday. The company said it expects its shares will be delisted on or about March 1, following legal approval. As a result, Linde's shares will be exchanged one-for-one in a new public company incorporated in Ireland under the same name, and will be traded only on the New York stock exchange (NYSE).

The resulting quicken transactions of this event are a single removal of all shares of the old ticker (15.45 shares) and a single add of the aggregate number of all shares with the new ticker (15.45 shares).

My question is what is the best way to transfer/exchange? the tax lots of the purchases prior this event, so my cost basis in the new shares are split and recorded accurately, rather than being one tax lot of 15.45 shares? Vanguard shows all the same tax lots as before this event.

Since this was not a taxable event, I supposed I could go back to the original purchases and just change the ticker to the new symbol. But I'm wondering if there is a way to do this that preserves the sequence of events (i.e. buying of the old shares, exchange for NYSE listed shares, and showing all the old tax lot purchases under the NYSE symbol).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.