Problem entering investment transaction

Options
fcacpa
fcacpa Member
edited February 20 in Investing (Windows)

Running Quicken Classic in Windows 10 (R53.32).

I just set up a new investment account and made the entries for the transfer of funds to the account and the purchase of the security. I'm attempting to record investment income that is transferred to my bank account via ACH. The investment transaction window (i.e., I'm initiating the transaction in the investment account register) for Income for some reason is not allowing me to insert the bank account for the transfer in the Transfer Account field. The field is not accessible, won't permit an entry. This is not a problem in any of the other investment accounts I have set up previously. The work around is to record the income in the Investment account then move the cash to the bank account. That works but doubles the entries required. Anyone have an idea why something that works properly in older investment accounts doesn't work in this one?

Answers

• fcacpa
    fcacpa Member
    Options

I should say the field is there, but not accessible, won't permit an entry

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does your investment account have a linked cash/checking account? If so, that seems to take precedence for the Forms entry on income transactions. You cannot override the linked cash/checking account as the target using the form (Enter Transaction button).

If you use enter the transaction in a transaction list line as a DivX transaction or similar, you can specify your real checking account as the transfer account, but a red flag appeared when I try that in a test file.

1. The transaction does show up in the regular intended Checking account as a transfer from the base investment account. But the investment account transaction shows the transfer going to the linked cash/checking account; not the specified checking account. Rt-click and choose the Go to matching transfer from either account takes you to the right matching transfer. It appears to just be a mis-label on the Investment account side of the transfer, but I'd be cautious about bypassing the linked account in that manner.
    2. If you edit that transaction on the investment side, the transfer will switch to the linked cash/checking account.

If your investment account does not have a linked cash/checking account, I don't know why the transfer account would be greyed out.

• fcacpa
    fcacpa Member
    Options

Thanks for your rapid response! No there is no linked cash/checking account. What I did discover works is to change the account type to a "single mutual fund account" rather than the "no" in the edit account details window which indicates a brokerage account. That allowed me to designate my checking account as the transfer account in the investment income screen. Weirdly, now that I've done that and entered the transaction with the transfer to checking, when I go back to account details the account type has changed back to "no" (i.e., brokerage account) and now, when I enter new investment income transactions everything works as expected - I can input the transfer account. I have no idea why but it's working, I hope it continues to do so, and that's good enough for me.

But THANK YOU for trying to help!!!

This discussion has been closed.