Upgrade path from QMac 2017 - want to use Quicken Cloud to remotely access data (edit)

Options

I want to upgrade from Quicken 2017 for Mac and take advantage of the ability to use the cloud to store data so that I can access it wherever I happen to be, on my phone, tablet, MacBook, etc.

What do I need to buy or subscribe to?

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You need a subscription to Quicken Classic, probably the Deluxe level. Depending on how you use Quicken, the Starter level might work for you, but it's not all that much cheaper. The Premier level only gets you some free Quicken Bill Pay transactions, access to Priority Support and a couple of rarely used reports. The Starter level becomes read only if you don't continue to subscribe. But you will continue to subscribe because you must if you are using online sync features.

Speaking of sync, it is highly recommended that you do not store your actual Quicken file on any cloud service and access it from there. Doing so can lead to file corruption. There is a workaround for this where you store only backups on the cloud service and restore them on whichever computer you're using.

Without storing the file on the cloud, you can still you Mobile Sync and access some but not all of your data, input transactions, etc on Quicken for Mobile (iPhone, iPad) or Quicken on the Web (MacBook). However, there are a number of us SUs who refuse to turn Sync on due to the number of problems of data corruption that have been reported. If you use Sync, just make sure you have frequent backups saved for a good time period.

When looking for a subscription, be sure to search for third party sellers. You most often will find deals that are less expensive than on Quicken.com (although Quicken.com does run promos for new subscribers).

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21 Answer ✓
    Options

also… while shopping - be aware of large discounts that are only avail for a NEW USER -

To clarify - the Quicken Cloud is not a total copy of your Quicken data -
    but instead, it's a small subset of your desktop Quicken data accounts made avail for mobile/web access -
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud#:~:text=The%20Quicken%20Cloud%20transmits%20your%20information%20between%20Quicken,or%20web%20browser%20%28with%20Quicken%20on%20the%20Web%29.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• David_K1944
    David_K1944 Member
    Options

Thanks. I think I’ll just muddle along the way I have been for all the years I have been using Quicken.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Options

… so that I can access it wherever I happen to be, on my phone, tablet, MacBook, etc.

just another tidbit - if you really want that capability, you might look at Remote Access to your desktop….
    Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the Mac world with regard to Remote Access software products….

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• David_K1944
    David_K1944 Member
    Options

Thanks, will do.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lastly - Quicken has rolled out a totally cloud based and simple product - with Web and App access -
    However you would have to start over with all new data - and the overall target audience is for simple budget, and goals -

https://www.quicken.com/products/simplifi/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• David_K1944
    David_K1944 Member
    Options

Thanks, I’ll take a look at it.

This discussion has been closed.