If YOU HAVE a Dual Drive PC, I need your help installing Quicken Please

Options
deex2
deex2 Member ✭✭

As stated above I have an internal dual drive PC and have a few questions installing this program onto my system.

Do you have your installed on the same drive as your Windows OS or do you have it installed on your 2nd, DATA drive?

Tagged:

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Options

To better answer your question, one would need to know what is the make up of your system. When SSD drives first became available, space was limited and the general consensuses was for relatively small SSD drives to have windows loaded with no other apps. This required all other apps and data to be loaded onto relatively slower HDD. My prior system had 150GB SSD and 1TB HDD and generally worked well.

Fast forward to today when 1TB or greater NVMe SSD drives are common place and quite inexpensive. The speed gains by having everything installed onto the one drive combined with the OS make the system run much quicker.

So if you have a large enough SSD, I would combine all on one and leave the slower HDs for redundant backups.

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate the history lesson and your time and effort responding, but that didn't really answer my question.

Do you have your installed on the same drive as your Windows OS or on the non-OS drive? The reason I ask is, for the past 3 years or so, I have had Quicken installed on my my Hdd (non-OS drive). After a recent OS reinstall i was curious if it made a difference which drive Quicken should be installed on. I asked a rep at Quicken and he said it was designed and meant to be installed on same drive as OS and all data files and backups should be on same drive. I wanted to ask on here to see how others with dual drive PCs have their system set up.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have seen some people report problems when Quicken is installed on a disk other than the OS disk. Usually, it is about the Quicken sounds not working. Other than that, I can't remember if there were other problems that were tied to it, probably not.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Do you have your installed on the same drive as your Windows OS or on the non-OS drive?" Yes and no.

I have installed Q on both the OS drive and non-OS drives without issue. Quicken Inc. specifies the C: drive as it cuts down on potential install issues for some users. In my opinion, it does not matter other than it must be on a local (resides in the PC) and not a network drive nor a OneDrive folder. Some ignore Quicken Inc recommendation and install on a network or OneDrive and report no issues. I would never risk my data to the eventual data corruption that will follow.

My latest PC build has Quicken installed on the OS drive as I eluded to prior, but as I also stated it depends on the drive types that exist in your system.

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options

"but as I also stated it depends on the drive types that exist in your system." what do you mean?

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hopefully where to install Q should be clear. When referring to drive type, I'm talking about the speed of Quicken (or any app) when installed on an SSD compared to HDD.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll just mention - some glitches with either Quicken itself, or the downloading & installing of newer versions -
    when using anything other than the "C:" drive -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.