Automatic Renaming Rule Creation is not working

Options

When I download transactions and I have a new Payee that needs renaming, the process of renaming the Payee within the register, and having Quicken automatically create the Renaming Rule is not working. I have my settings turned on for this, but I never get prompted to confirm the new rule and a new rule is not getting added to my existing Renaming Rules. I am having to go back into the Renaming Rules area and create the rule manually.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When downloading transactions, are you (1) automatically accepting them into your register or are you (2) reviewing and accepting each one individually from the Downloaded Transactions Tab area?

Only if you're using the 2nd method and making changes to the transaction's Payee Name in the New Transaction line of the register will a Renaming Rule go into effect. Once the downloaded transaction has hit the register, it's too late.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Creating of renaming rules automatically only kicks in when you are changing a payee.

That might be in while in the Downloaded Transactions tab if you are using it, or it might be in the register if your transactions to being downloaded directly into the register.

And note that the new renaming rule only takes affect for future downloaded transactions, not the ones that are in the Downloaded Transactions tab or in the register. This is because Quicken only applies renaming rules right after it downloads the transactions.

The thing that triggers this is you changing the payee of a transaction you just downloaded.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JamesU
    JamesU Member
    Options

My transactions are downloaded straight into the Register. I have seen this work before, when I rename a Payee in the Register - Quicken would pop up a window with the opportunity to add a rule and edit that rule. But now it doesn't do it anymore, maybe since one of the last updates.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure what to tell you, because it still works for me (version R54.9, I just tested it) and I download my transactions directly into the register. They have changed the dialog somewhat, but it is still there. Is your downloaded transaction still marked with the blue dot (New) or the blue pencil (New Match)?

For reference here is the new dialog:

Signature:
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is there any way to test a renaming rule without having to wait for downloaded transactions?

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• JamesU
    JamesU Member
    Options

Thank you Chris_QPW. I'll have to test the renaming process again when I have a new transaction to rename. I can try renaming the payee while it still has the blue dot, and then also try renaming the payee after I review and clear the blue dot. Maybe that will make a difference.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think once the transaction is changed/reviewed the prompt for a renaming rule will not kick in.

One might argue that is wrong, and suggest it be changed. That can be done by going to the Home page and select New Post → New Idea

Renaming rules are only applied during the download. What I do to test this is either go back to a slightly older copy of my data file before the transaction happened and run One Step Update on that copy.

There is another way of testing too and that is with importing a QFX file.

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE <OFX>
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <SONRS>
    <INTU.BID>10898
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
    <DTSERVER>20240128120127
    <FI>
    <FID>10898
    <ORG>ImportQIF
    </FI>
    <STATUS>
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <CODE>0
    </STATUS>
    </SONRS>
    </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>
    <CCSTMTTRNRS>
    <STATUS>
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <CODE>0
    </STATUS>
    <TRNUID>0
    <CCSTMTRS>
    <BANKTRANLIST>
    <DTSTART>20240128000000
    <STMTTRN>
    <DTPOSTED>20240128
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <TRNAMT>-1.00
    <NAME>Test Transaction
    <FITID>3REdFkq7SvUbTLytjW/zUQ
    </STMTTRN>
    <DTEND>20240128120127
    </BANKTRANLIST>
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>Test
    </CCACCTFROM>
    <LEDGERBAL>
    <DTASOF>20240128000000
    <BALAMT>0.00
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <CURDEF>USD
    </CCSTMTRS>
    </CCSTMTTRNRS>
    </CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>

If you use a text editor and put the above in a file (make sure to save/renaming it to a .QFX before importing)

You can now change this one transaction for testing. You would change the NAME and FITID fields. The FITID field just needs to be unique each time you go to import it (or just delete the test account each time).

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that the stupid forum formatter put in all the blank lines, but they don't hurt anything.

Signature:
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW How does the qfx data know which account to download to, or is that selected at import time?

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you look at the QFX file, you will find that there are fields for the financial institution, and the account type and account number. What Quicken does is prompt you the first time it sees this information for whether to create a new account in Quicken or link with an existing one. After that the account in Quicken is "linked" to that information until you deactivate the account for downloading. Note if any of this information changes (in the OFX/download) then Quicken considers it a new online account prompts again. And speaking of linking to existing accounts, if you have not deactivated the old account then in some cases Quicken will not suggest that account as one to link to even if physically it is the exact same one online (but the information for the account has changed).

Signature:
  • JamesU
    JamesU Member
    Options

BTW, I got a transation today from a new Payee that I have never downloaded or renamed before. It came through as "PAYPAL INST XFER 240129 STEVE WHITE myname". While the Dot was still Blue in the Register, I renamed the Payee to "Steve White Parts." No renaming rule got created, and no renaming rule was shown to me for my review. It just isn't working.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JamesU sorry I don't know what to tell you, it is working for me.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.