Trying to resolve the BECU issue by adding new account. What is the best way?

Options

I am tired of this BECU issue. I don't understand why, under the checking account that I have had in Quicken for over 20 years, that you can't just setup online services again. When I setup BECU services again, it finds all the account and allows me to link every other BECU account (savings, money market, Visa, loans) to existing accounts I have in Quicken, but won't let me link the checking. I can create a new checking account and it works so that might be the way to go. My question is, what is the best way to deal with that? I tried merging by copying everything from the old checking account to the new account, but it was taking forever with 20 years of transactions and started messing up other accounts. Is my best option to just leave the old account alone and keep it for historical purposes and then use the new account moving forward? I do have the old one reconciled through Dec 31 so it would be ok to start the new one, but what do I do with the balances to make it come out right? For example, if the ending balance is 10,000 on Dec 31, how would I make the opening balance of the new account 10,000 without it counting that amount twice to my overall balance for all accounts?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @dman76,

Since you've reconciled through 12/31/23, my suggestion would be to setup the new account with a zero balance. After you've done that, simply make an entry in the old accounts register, transferring the amount of the ending balance to the new account. That will make the old account's balance zero and your new account will start with the correct account balance.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• dman76
    dman76 Member
    Options

That makes total sense! Why didn't I think of that? :) I guess this will be the best way because I can not figure out why moving transactions over is affecting the other accounts but it must be removing the transfers and stuff to the credit card accounts because all of their balances went way up. This will be fine though. I don't know why I need to keep track of transactions from 1999, but at this point, I have kept it running so long that I don't want to stop, which is probably why I keep using Quicken even though it is a pain sometimes. I just like historical data and statistics and once in a while it is kind of cool to remember some transaction I made 20 years ago. Thanks again!

• dman76
    dman76 Member
    Options

Hi again. I actually do have a followup. This all works well but it keeps wanting to update the old account. When I start up Quicken, I get the message:

Accounts at BECU are not enabled correctly and need to be deactivated and reactivated to allow Quicken to properly get new transactions. Go to quicken.com/support and search for EWC-DC Mismatch

I can't deactivate online services in the old account because there is no online services tab in the account details. That is the only account where there is no online services tab. Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.