Pay Full Statement Balance for Scheduled Transactions

Options

I pay nearly all my bills on credit card, and I pay my credit card statement balance on the due date every month.

In Quicken, I have all my predictable income and expenses set up with recurring scheduled transactions. For me, this works much better than the budgeting feature as I have a very accurate view of my cash flow. I rely on the projected balances graph for my checking account on a daily basis. To me this is the most valuable and useful feature Quicken has.

But to properly model this cash flow, I need a way to model paying my credit card statement balance every month. Of course, this balance changes every month.

There's an easy way Quicken can do this. When I schedule a recurring payment on a specific day of the month, it could allow me to specify the balance on a prior day (and of course have it update when those balances update). I'm paying these credit cards directly- so this isn't an auto payment. It's just a projection. Here's a concrete example: My Chase Visa card payment is due the 11th of every month. The statement balance for the period is the closing balance on the 14th of the previous month. If I could configure my recurring payment on the 11th to automatically track the account balance on the 14th prior, it would save me a lot of time while making my cash flow planning even more accurate.

Today I have an elaborate process of planning payments based on averaging my projected charges for the next year (ex: I plan to have $60K in charges over the year, I'd schedule a $5K monthly payment). Then I can update my next payment manually as it gets closer. However, this takes quite a bit of time, and is error prone if I forget to update the averages when my recurring charges change.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated