How to handle stock merge - Merger from ARGO to ARGD (edit)

gobud
gobud Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭
edited March 19 in Investing (Windows)

I recently received a data transfer from Fidelity regarding a Merger from ARGO to ARGD. It appears that there is the correct negative under share balance for the merger from(ARGO), but the number of shares showing under share balance for the new business (ARGD) shows double the number of shares. The cash balance remained accurate. Is there a way to edit the number of shares for the + in ARGD?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm assuming that the transaction you're referring to is a tax free, stock for stock transaction, or maybe just a symbol change???

It would help immensely to be able to actually see the transactions that downloaded into Quicken, but assuming all you are referring to is a Remove action for the old shares and an Added action for the new shares, that Add action certainly can be edited to change the number of shares.

• gobud
    edited January 30

It was a stock for stock transaction. Brookfield Reinsurance acquired Argo International Group Holdings. I had shares of Argo Holdings (ARGO) which were payed out and merged into Brookfield (ARGD) with equal shares. I had 1000 shares of ARGO. After the Fidelity data transfer ARGO showed a share balance of -1000 shares sold in Quicken transactions, but ARGD showed a share balance of +2000 shares.

Both lines of transactions show 1000 shares under description on the transaction list. The cash balance remained the same for both lines. The 1000 shares of ARGD is what lists in Fidelity. My investing balance in Quicken is $5000.00 greater than in Fidelity. I'm not quite sure if this issue is causing the problem but the discrepancy in investing balance occurred after this data transfer.

I'm sorry. I'm new at with this community. I don't know if I have explained sufficiently. I tried to edit the transaction but found no way to change share numbers. I phoned Quicken and spoke with a guy who did a screen share but he was of little help. So, I thought I'd try this route. I don't use Quicken for calculating taxes, so, I can live with this if I must.

Thank you for your response, Tom.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

the account should have had a ARGO Shares Removed for 1000 and then a ARGD Shares Added for 1000 -

looking at the Security List - the ARGO should be 0 and the ARGD should be 1000

• gobud

I agree, but the securities list in Quicken shows {-1000} for share balance of ARGO and 2000 share balance of ARGD. In Fidelity there is no balance for ARGO ad 1000 shares for ARGD. Under the description for both in Transaction list is lists 1000. I'd like to know how to change the share balances in Quicken. I'm assuming this matters since my market value in Quicken is greater than in Fidelity IRA. I have the same scenario in my brokerage account except for 300 shares (which now shows 600 shares in Quicken).

• gobud

Sorry, I don't know how this discussion community works. Any further help or discussion of this topic would be appreciated.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4

as @Tom Young mentioned above - it would be great to have a screen shot to see what the transactions looks like.

Also - as mentioned, you can brute force create a transaction for each of the securities -
    Create a new transaction to either - Remove Shares 1000 - or Add Shares 1000 - to make everything match -
    again - this is a NEW transaction to fudge the numbers as needed

• gobud

Thank you so much. I will send you a screen shot the next time I have dividends to add and try to reconcile. Probably near middle of February. I have not reconciled transactions, merely downloaded since 11/27/21. At that time a support team member had me delete all transactions and begin anew due to something wrong with download, I believe. I merely do download to see all financials in Quicken. I compare Quicken with Fidelity. I am a pretty much a novice at this but appreciate your help. In the mean time I may try your add/remove suggestion. The screen print you sent helped.

• gobud

This is the same scenario in my brokerage account but 300 shares were merged from ARGO to ARGD. In my IRA it was 1000 shares but the same result. The share in Quicken are twice what they are in Fidelity. In Fidelity it shows a merger payout of 300 share of ARGO and a "merger from" to ARGD of 300 shares. It says in Fidelity it was an exchange from CUSIP ending in 05 to CUSIP ending in 06. Do I force remove the shares from ARGO & ARGD and then add the shares for ARGD (but I don't have the price, etc.)? Perhaps the best thing is to add placeholders but I don't entirely understand those.

I appreciate your advice and time. I will let it go after this try.

This discussion has been closed.