Cash Flow and reports by Category using the Category description instead of Cat Name

Options
K Hibbs
K Hibbs Member
edited March 5 in Reports (Windows)

I assign categories to all of my transactions. When I setup the categories I sometimes complete the "Description" field for the category. Now, when I try to run a Cash Flow statement or Income/Expense by Category the report displays the category description and not the category name. For example, my category is Dining and I input the description as "Dining Out". In my Cash Flow report, Dining Out shows as one of the rows, but in the Transaction Register the category is clearly listed as Dining. Whenever the system needs to sort and present transactions by category it only prints the category description not the actual category name. Additionally, if I delete the description, the Cash Flow will use the actual category name correctly, but then when I put the description back in it reverts to using the description field.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Please go to Preferences to see the settings under Reports Only for category names. Does that fix it?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Qicken has a history of sometimes changing preferences during upgrades. Could have been that.

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Please go to Preferences to see the settings under Reports Only for category names. Does that fix it?

• K Hibbs
    K Hibbs Member
    Options

Thank you! I was focused on the report customizations - forgot to check Preference settings! Somehow in the Reports Only settings (I don't remember how), the setting got switched to Category Descriptions instead of Category Name! All fixed, thank again!

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Qicken has a history of sometimes changing preferences during upgrades. Could have been that.

This discussion has been closed.