Almost every transaction is uncategorized.

Options
ej77kim
ej77kim Member

Hello,

I just installed Quicken on my new Mac. In previous mac, it automatically categorized the transaction but this time every transaction is uncategorized. Categorization is the one of the reason I use Quicken. Can anybody help?

Tagged:

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Did you bring over an existing Quicken file to the new Mac? If so, from what version of Quicken? And are you saying that old transactions that used to be categorized have now lost their categories?

Or, on the other hand, are you saying that only newly downloaded transactions are failing to get automatically categorized? Did you start a brand new Quicken file on the new Mac?

Knowing which of these situations will give us a place to start.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ej77kim
    ej77kim Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the quick response!

My old Mac crashed so I don't have any old transaction files. I just downloaded a Quicken Mac on my brand-new Mac and made a connections to all the accounts newly. Every transaction is uncategorized as you see in the attachment.

• RickO
    Options

You should start manually categorizing downloaded transactions. Quicken will learn from this and start applying categories.

There are a couple other things you can do:

1. In Quicken > Settings > Connected Services, check the box "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories"
    2. In Quicken > Settings > Register, check the box "QuickFill Rules: • Automatically create rule when I edit a transaction". This will create a new rule for each payee when you manually assign a category to ensure that the category is always applied to that payee.

• ej77kim
    ej77kim Member
    Options

When I used the Quicken on my old Mac, it just came along when I connected to the credit card and bank automatically.

Why should I manually do this? If I uninstall Quicken and reinstall, it will make a difference?

• RickO
    edited February 6
    Options

No, it won't help to uninstall and reinstall. If you do the two things I mention above, I believe it will start categorizing for you in time.

As I mentioned, I personally do not depend on or allow Quicken to do the categorization. Others who do so may be able to provide other tips.

• dan.greenberg.ct
    dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My guess is that you don't recall originally assigning transactions to category initially and that over time it used what you had previously assigned. Given that you can create your own categories, Quicken wouldn't have any way of knowing that your local heating company would be assigned to Heating, Utilities, Oil or any other category you create until you did it the first time so it could learn based on your assignment.

• ej77kim
    ej77kim Member
    Options

I got it. As you guys said, Maybe I don't recall I assigned that at the beginning. I will do that. Thank you so much for your replies!

This discussion has been closed.